Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR into Law?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm just looking for a few opinions please!

I am currently working for a big organisation in the UK where I am completing a Masters in HR Management which will give me a CIPD qualification. I am relatively content here however longer term, I want to gain a legal qualification. I am unsure whether I want to practice or to become a trainee at around the age of 30 but I am open to the idea.

My query is - would having worked in a management role in HR for a large organisation give me any sort of benefit should I choose to practice? Perhaps it would be good in an employment law sphere?

Any and all opinions and comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

In which jurisdiction?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My understanding is that Employment law is one of growth areas. The multitude of interaction between Europe, domestic and rights law make this a trend to continue. Given that some HR/employment courses are intermingled with hr and law students then op would have a good idea what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Thanks for the responses.

Mark Anthony - both jurisdictions I suppose! I suppose UK would be where I would stay if I got into that area of expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thanks for the responses.

Mark Anthony - both jurisdictions I suppose! I suppose UK would be where I would stay if I got into that area of expertise.

The UK is three jurisdictions, obviously there would be a huge element of EU law in the employment sphere. You could look at doing an English law degree but be aware there would be conversion requirements for Ireland. My understanding is it's much easier to break into the solicitors profession in E&W than it is in Ireland.

Advertisement