Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

You are not entitled to use Charge Points on private land?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

There have been problems gaining access to charge points on private land, which may include supermarket and Hotel car parks.
    This has come to light as recently posted, in Newcastle Co. Down as we approach a week of the Open Golf, with the Slieve Donard Hastings Group Hotel as "Access to the Hotel will be restricted and our car parks have been secured by the European Tour as part of the Irish Open Tournament" Practically speaking you have to book in overnight in order to obtain a charge, some chance,even if you wanted to.
    Another example of permanent lack of access to a local supermarket is the building of a twelve foot wall halfway across a CP bay which is part of a second car wash ,resulting in the permanent loss of one bay. When asked why? the owner replied "Its my land and I can do what I like"
    A spokeswoman for the Dept of Rural Development recently quoted in the press said,"Charge Points on private land is ?, the responsibility of the land owner to manage parking restrictions as they see fit.
    I suppose this means if a Conference ,Wedding, or any function is taking place on private land there is no immediate access to the public with an EV,or if the owner feels like plonking anything in a bay, nothing may stop them.
    Afaik these CPs where provided with the help of European monies at no cost to the land owner for public use,and they do not even pay the electricity charge? Why are they allowed to have them installed, benift from the trade they bring to the business, and then prevent the use of them,on what may appear to some as a mere whim , because "They can" Half of the CPs in this area are on private land, maybe the policy regarding the siting of future CPs should be carefully reviewed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Castlewellan , yesterday, the only CP iced because there was a festival in the car park.
    As this CP is on private land, and in spite of many attempts to flag up the problem,will this ever change? Department of Rural Development tell me it will never change. Similar reply from Ecarni.com.
    Why did the Gentleman who sited these CPs, in S.Down put 50% of them on private land, thereby ensuring very variable excess depending on the with whims of the land owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

This is true. Same reason why not all the charge points in Ireland will be painted according to the national law. They are on private land and the owner has to give ESB permission to do it.

Sad but true.

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    This is true. Same reason why not all the charge points in Ireland will be painted according to the national law. They are on private land and the owner has to give ESB permission to do it.

Sad but true.

Any sign of 32amp single phase CPs coming to a village near you, anytime soon, and we know why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

reboot wrote: »
    Any sign of 32amp single phase CPs coming to a village near you, anytime soon, and we know why not.

Unless I purchase them myself and pay a qualified electrician to install it, nope. Such a charge point would fry the wiring in to many houses in Ireland of standard. I would love one though :-)

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    Unless I purchase them myself and pay a qualified electrician to install it, nope. Such a charge point would fry the wiring in to many houses in Ireland of standard. I would love one though :-)
    Ee
    Sorry, I meant that perhaps if we had them at the odd Lamp post,, assuming the power is available, I for one would find them more than adequate for Zoe..As posted elsewhere I guess one Rapid charger may cost as much as scores of single phase.
    Not a popular thing to say, here to the large LL, Leaf lobby, as there may be signs of boards going the route of our previous home?
    Apparently many multi storey car parks in UK have gone the 32 amp route, and with Navy coming soon, makes even more sense.l don't think the monitoring aspect re mobile would be a problem. With a proposed new , long overdue 50 CPs on private land again?,there may not be an easing of any of the problems anytime soon, we can only hope, but the official site looking more and more like the Marie Celeste. Too esoteric,sorry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Ee
    Sorry, I meant that perhaps if we had them at the odd Lamp post,, assuming the power is available, I for one would find them more than adequate for Zoe..As posted elsewhere I guess one Rapid charger may cost as much as scores of single phase.

I don't think single phase should be bothered with for the public charge points. Many, if not most of those lamp posts have three phase power. And if there is three phase why not have a 22kW? Could move the lamppost to LED at the same time.

BMW has started installing these as part of a pilot program in the UK:
    BMW-Lamp-Post-EV-Charging.jpg

You make a good point, but is the CP in the picture22kw?
    On a separate point, posted elsewhere,I had some difficulty recently charging beside an I3 at a 3 cable 165amp rapid CP.My car has the charging socket at the front,the BMW at the side.Although he was not badly parked,the charge lead had to stretch around his car to reach my socket, these massive cables,the thickness of a child's arm, really pull on the socket.Some sockets have had connection problems, as it appears they are aluminium, and not copper. I also notice a Vauxhall Amp era also connects at the side, no sign of standardisation on EV sockets?

You make a good point, but is the CP in the picture22kw?

Nope the test ones I saw in Germany were 11kW. But it's not a big engineering challenge to make it 22kW.
    On a separate point, posted elsewhere,I had some difficulty recently charging beside an I3 at a 3 cable 165amp rapid CP.My car has the charging socket at the front,the BMW at the side.Although he was not badly parked,the charge lead had to stretch around his car to reach my socket, these massive cables,the thickness of a child's arm, really pull on the socket.

Spare a thought for the poor i3 owner... unless we want to swap paint we can only connect when we're parked in the right hand bay. I've almost lost my wig a couple of times with leafs finished charging or worse just parked in the right hand bay, not blocking the rapid for other Leafs or Zoes but blocking access for me.
    Some sockets have had connection problems, as it appears they are aluminium, and not copper. I also notice a Vauxhall Amp era also connects at the side, no sign of standardisation on EV sockets?

No sign yet. The A3 etron connects at the front.

cros13 wrote: »
    Nope the test ones I saw in Germany were 11kW. But it's not a big engineering challenge to make it 22kW.

Spare a thought for the poor i3 owner... unless we want to swap paint we can only connect when we're parked in the right hand bay. I've almost lost my wig a couple of times with leafs finished charging or worse just parked in the right hand bay, not blocking the rapid for other Leafs or Zoes but blocking access for me.

No sign yet. The A3 etron connects at the front.
    I suppose inductive charging might help one day, but don't hold your breath,sorry other thread.

Are the BMW chargers AC ? then a leaf could plug in ?

• Advertisement

Are the BMW chargers AC ? then a leaf could plug in ?

Yup, just a simple type 2 socket and an RFID reader. They are meant to be a solution for residential areas with only on-street parking. Instead of additional works and complexity installing separate chargers just fit light poles which have the chargers built-in. If the city is upgrading to LED lamps they usually need to replace the poles anyway and most of them are fed with three phase power already.

cros13 wrote: »
    I don't think single phase should be bothered with for the public charge points. Many, if not most of those lamp posts have three phase power. And if there is three phase why not have a 22kW? Could move the lamppost to LED at the same time.

BMW has started installing these as part of a pilot program in the UK:
    BMW-Lamp-Post-EV-Charging.jpg

Your excellent suggestions are much to good, however I have tried to pass them on to people in charge, but I believe they think Ohms Law is an act of Parliament. Top man Thanks.

Advertisement