Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum adverts on YouTube

Options
  • 22-05-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I got a load of adverts on YouTube today urging a particular vote in the referendum.

Did anyone else get this.

I would have thought the YouTube is covered by the broadcast moratorium.

If it isn't do people think it should be?

All the adverts were for one side. In fact I got 5 adverts in 3 hours all urging the same vote. Is there any requirement for advertising balance? Of course you can't force a. Company to air adverts unless they are hired to do so.

I found it off putting I must say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

They have to advertise somehow but I agree it was annoying like most ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

AdBlock will sort that out for you!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

YouTube is not a broadcaster.

As it is broadcasters can't carry paid ads at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I mostly use YouTube through the TV and phone so there's no ad block and it's absolutely head wrecking hearing the SAME fuking ads over and over. Sure you can skip after a few seconds but those few seconds are enough to drive you nuts when you've listened to them probably 100 times. So glad the referendum is almost over just so that sh!t stops.

I'd happily pay like €1 or something every month just so I can avoid all ads completely.

I mostly use YouTube through the TV and phone so there's no ad block and it's absolutely head wrecking hearing the SAME fuking ads over and over. Sure you can skip after a few seconds but those few seconds are enough to drive you nuts when you've listened to them probably 100 times. So glad the referendum is almost over just so that sh!t stops.

I'd happily pay like €1 or something every month just so I can avoid all ads completely.

As far as I know, YouTube are planning on rolling out a service like that. You pay a monthly/annual fee and don't have to put up with ads.

I'm surprised there hasn't been an AdBlock extension for Chrome on mobiles, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

jungleman wrote: »
    As far as I know, YouTube are planning on rolling out a service like that. You pay a monthly/annual fee and don't have to put up with ads.

I'm surprised there hasn't been an AdBlock extension for Chrome on mobiles, actually.

cLP2aAI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

About, 8ish days ago yes. Skip it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Is it just me, or has someone else noticed more ads on Youtube from Pro lifers, against abortion ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or has someone else noticed more ads on Youtube from Pro lifers, against abortion ?

Its the same religious fundamentalists with the same US funding, changing the ad in expectation of the next referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I kept clicking the "Skip Ad in X seconds" button like a mad bastard, I only caught the first 5 seconds of it. From that it looked like they were stereotyping pro-choicers as vapid D4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Spoke to a friend in Google recently, the No campaign and anti-abortion Ads bumped Youtube Ad revenue up by more than 50% last month. Spending on them in 7 figures.

Is there anything SIPO can do about this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

cros13 wrote: »
    Spending on them in 7 figures.

I'm delighted if they are blowing a million euros annoying the crap out of people years before a campaign on repeal of the 8th amendment even starts.

Keep it up, lads!

I'm delighted if they are blowing a million euros annoying the crap out of people years before a campaign on repeal of the 8th amendment even starts.

Keep it up, lads!

Unfortunately Tom Monaghan has very deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cros13 wrote: »
    Spoke to a friend in Google recently, the No campaign and anti-abortion Ads bumped Youtube Ad revenue up by more than 50% last month. Spending on them in 7 figures.

So because you do not like the subject of the ad you want someone to step in and do something about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So because you do not like the subject of the ad you want someone to step in and do something about it ?

It is all very questionable legally

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It is all very questionable legally

Please explain ?

YouTube is a medium just like any TV or radio station or newspaper.

They sell ad space.

People buy that ad space.

Including groups that support or oppose various social issues.

Please explain ?

YouTube is a medium just like any TV or radio station or newspaper.

They sell ad space.

People buy that ad space.

Including groups that support or oppose various social issues.

Thats fine.

The question of how they financed them is questionable

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thats fine.

The question of how they financed them is questionable

But the poster that I replied to just said No campaign and anti-abortion Ads, he/she did not specify where they came from

But the poster that I replied to just said No campaign and anti-abortion Ads, he/she did not specify where they came from

Take a few minutes to read over this: bocktherobber.com/2013/06/what-exactly-is-the-iona-institute/

Yes, I know the title mentions the Iona Institute, but the actual article goes beyond them.

• Advertisement

Take a few minutes to read over this: bocktherobber.com/2013/06/what-exactly-is-the-iona-institute/

Yes, I know the title mentions the Iona Institute, but the actual article goes beyond them.

But what does that have to do with anti SSM or pro life ads on YouTube and the posters assertion that the SIPO should somehow investigate

But what does that have to do with anti SSM or pro life ads on YouTube and the posters assertion that the SIPO should somehow investigate

The likes of Iona and Youth Defence would count as "third parties" under SIPO legislation, i.e. political interest groups that aren't parties. Iona only registered with SIPO this April IIRC, and YD are yet to do so. These "third parties" must disclose all donations over €100 that they've received.

Well how did IONA pay for the ads if they didnt fundraise?

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement