Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Shiva

Options
  • 22-05-2015 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I know you don't see me 'round these parts all too often, but last night I heard some very sad news that I thought should get a mention here on this forum as some members of the community may not be aware.

Last night after a very short illness, Tony Geraghty aka Shiva here on Boards.ie passed away. He was one of the "founding fathers" of Irish Airsoft. Most of you would have known him from his Eirsoft shop in Cabra

I won't claim to have been great friends with him, but we had known each other for a long time. I first got to know Tony back in '97 when I discovered IRC for the first time and he was a channel op and admin on the Irish Dalnet server. He was a gentleman back then and in the proceeding years, he remained a gentleman (although I do recall BioHazrd call him "some bollox" once in jest :D:p)

So on behalf of myself and the folks at Boards, I wanted to say RIP to Tony and our thoughts are with his family.

I have information on the funeral arrangements if anyone would like to get in touch and I can pass them on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

I'm really sorry to hear of his passing
    Tony was my competitor in Business but i grew to like him very much over the years as i got to know the man.
    Ours chats over the phone and when he dropped in for a cuppa could last for hours.
    He was a legend here on the Airsoft forum.
    He said what he thought and sometimes that may not make you the most popular with all, but there was an honesty about him and his posts always made good reading.I spent many a night in front of the computer screen while he sparred on here!
    On page two of the retailers section you'll see his shop thread.He had nearly 750,000 views with over 11,500 comments.
    Tony was a leading light on here when the Airsoft forum was the epicenter of all things Airsoft in Ireland.
    He along with his old sparring partner Derek Talbot from MIA are the first guys to retail Airsoft in Ireland and hewould also be probably one of the first ever gamers in the country.
    My thoughts today are with his family to have lost a husband and Dad at such a young age. Tony RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Tony, rest in peace mate - you were a true credit to the community.
    Couldn't believe it when I found out last night at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

For those who are either too young or simply weren't around in those very early days of Irish airsoft; Tony's shop (eirsoft.ie) started out as a niche hobby selling the then 'budget' guns offered by CYMA, Dboys, and JG, along with WE pistols. He would call up to HRTA most Saturdays with whatever assorted goodies people had ordered in his car boot and arranged for collection. Occasionally I even got to shoot him with his own supplied airsoft guns. That little side-hobby of his grew and grew into one of the dominant retailers in Ireland for several years and it was sad to see it eventually close.

I've not heard from him in a very long time and it's sad to know now that I never will again. Like Ricka said, there was an honesty about him that on the very few occasions where we didn't see eye to eye, he'd say his part, I'd say mine, and we'd both shake hands with all sins behind us.

RIP Tony, with both condolences from FireKitten & I for his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,560 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I only found out about this earlier today myself and am absolutely gutted.

Haven't posted here in a very long time so maybe what I say hasn't really any relevance to a lot of folks here now, but back when airsoft was kicking off in Ireland, when it was literally a pipe dream, Tony threw his lot in and did an incredible amount to kick everything off.

I've so many great memories back in the early days of HRTA when we really hadn't a clue what was going on, other than embracing a kinetic energy loophole and running with it.

Not too sure what to say other than Tony, you were the best of the best and I really couldn't imagine the whole adventure turning out the way it did unless you were there.

RIP buddy, you'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'd just like to echo the lads sentiments on Tony above. I was very saddened to hear of his passing early yday morning.
    I never once met the man in person having only dealt with him online and on the phone but the one thing that stands out in what the lads have said is that he was a gent and they're rare these days.
    If it wasn't for Tony in Eirsoft and shiva on boards I probably would never have gotten into Airsoft at all back in 2007/08.
    He used to joke that I was never into any of the stock that he carried and was only after him to get in something out of the ordinary for me something he always tried his best to do. Even when he was under pressure he always made time for you.
    May he rest in peace and my thoughts are with his family.
    RIP Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭robust

I'm in shock! I haven't seen Tony in years. But When I first started tinkering in aegs Tony gave me access to his "boneyard", ordered all my parts, in fact I bought my first new aeg off him.
    A decent chap, many a good chat we had.
    My sincerest condolences to his nearest and dearest.

Advertisement