Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning Czech

• 22-05-2015 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Bit of a long shot, as Czech wouldn't be one of the more popular languages out there.

Hoping to spend a week in the Czech Republic in October, and I would like to be able to learn enough to be able to have basic conversations with people, order stuff, directions and the like.

Does anyone know any good online resources? I've had a look bit there just seem to be bit and bobs on different sites, but nothing really structured.

Also has any here learned the language, or any similar language? If so, is it really as hard as people say? I haven't learned any Slavic languages before, so that would make progress a bit slower.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

i've never tried learning Czech, so would be unaware of any resources. Offhand you could try Duolingo's discussions as sometimes native speakers give primers on their languages. As well while there is a free Slavic language available there (Ukranian) being in Cyrillic would make it of limited use for Czech.

Also there is a reverse language course. For Czech speakers to learn English: https://www.duolingo.com/courses/cs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pkaiser

Hi,

Any luck with learning Czech? :)

As a Czech national I can hardly comment on how difficult the Czech language is ( but I am glad I don't have to learn it as in my opinion it has to be a nighmare to study it...). However, there are some iPhone / Android applications similar to duolingo, that could help you with that. just try to google "learning czech language fast online"...

Also this article gives a pretty good summary of difficulties of the Czech Language: fluentin3months.com/why-czech-isnt-as-hard-to-learn-as-you-think

Good luck,

P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Evening classes in Dublin here: http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/courses/Evening/Czech
    Starting tonight.

I gave Polish a bash a few years ago. The hardest part was the new sounds and combinations of letters I was familiar with, but once I had that, it at least reads as it is written, which was a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@pkaiser

No, no luck as I've decided not to go to the Czech Republic, so won't be learning Czech. Not yet, anyway.

Advertisement