Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairway Wood or hybrid

Options
  • 21-05-2015 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I am a circa 20 handicap golfer (getting better) and am finding that I have a problem - when I am say 200-220 yards from the green, I have no club (bar driver) which can reach it (or at least with my best and straightest shot anyway!).
    I am not really sure which to buy here, a 5W or a hybrid? What do people recommend, and what is the differences between the 2?

Thanks,
    theyoungchap.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

I have both in the bag.

I have found a hybrid play much like an iron i.e. you can hit is with a steep descending blow. Very versatile out of all kinds of lies, can be head out of the rough much like an iron. If you are solid irons player this club is pretty easy to hit.

On the other hand the 5 wood is more of a sweepers club. For me needs a pretty decent lie to hit well although it goes much further and is a club I hit much better in the wind (doesn't balloon for me like a hybrid does). So if you are a good driver and put your ball in play a lot it's a good club. Also very handy off the tee.

YMMV so if you get a chance borrow both off a friend and see how you go. If I was guessing I'd imagine you'd find the hybrid most useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Aesop wrote: »
    I have both in the bag.

I have found a hybrid play much like an iron i.e. you can hit is with a steep descending blow. Very versatile out of all kinds of lies, can be head out of the rough much like an iron. If you are solid irons player this club is pretty easy to hit.

On the other hand the 5 wood is more of a sweepers club. For me needs a pretty decent lie to hit well although it goes much further and is a club I hit much better in the wind (doesn't balloon for me like a hybrid does). So if you are a good driver and put your ball in play a lot it's a good club. Also very handy off the tee.

YMMV so if you get a chance borrow both off a friend and see how you go. If I was guessing I'd imagine you'd find the hybrid most useful.

I am in exactly the same boat of this. Have a 23* hybrid and a 5 wood. I find the hybrid much easier to hit well and can take on all kinds of lies with it. With the 5 wood, I need a good lie before I can hit it however I get more distance with a nice low flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I am in exactly the same boat of this. Have a 23* hybrid and a 5 wood. I find the hybrid much easier to hit well and can take on all kinds of lies with it. With the 5 wood, I need a good lie before I can hit it however I get more distance with a nice low flight.

Your 23 degree hybrid is your 4 iron replacement, or if your like I prefer woods I use 7 wood 22 degrees.
    My 5 wood is like a 3 iron or a 19 or 20 degree hybrid. So you can use both your 23 degree and your 5 wood just drop the 3 and 4 iron.

I had trouble hitting hybrids they always seem to hook on me, maybe I should have tried different brands but TM RBZ definitely didn't suit.
    I can hit my woods high by cutting across the ball or in the wind I can hit a punch shot. So its a very personal preference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I am a circa 20 handicap golfer (getting better) and am finding that I have a problem - when I am say 200-220 yards from the green, I have no club (bar driver) which can reach it (or at least with my best and straightest shot anyway!).
    I am not really sure which to buy here, a 5W or a hybrid? What do people recommend, and what is the differences between the 2?

Thanks,
    theyoungchap.

Can i say something, and i honestly don't mean to be condensing or smart, but a 20 handicapper going for a 200-220 yard shot to a green is madness!! That's a shot for the low guys.
    For lads like us the target is too small that far away and will bring in unnecessary trouble if you go offline. I often use my 6 iron from that distance out and use the extra shorter shot to try get close to the pin.

Advertisement