Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for references after being hired

Options
  • 21-05-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

Three months ago I started a new job.
    After accepting the job offer, and resigning from my old job, the new employer told me that they will be needing me to bring two written references for my first day.
    No problems! First day of the new job, contracts being signed and I gave them all my bank details as well as the references.

Now, three months later, the HR of my new job is saying that one of my references is too old and that they will need one from one of my more recent jobs.

This is an issue for me, as I am not able to provide any other references than the ones I already provided them with.

If I just tell my HR that I am unable to provide any additional references, what could the employer do about this? Seeing as the contract has already been signed, do they have any grounds to let me go?
    I mean, I'm doing a good job as well so I don't really see the issue with the reference being old...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It could be they are just crossing the T's regarding paperwork.. Is it that you have had no other employer in the time or that you have no other employer that you would ask for a reference. If you have employment shown on your CV it may well be asked why you can't get a reference from them, might be worth being ready for that question..

As for what can they do ??
    Well, within the first year you can be let go for next to no reason, "sorry bud - this isn't working out - hit the road" sort of thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, HR crossing their T's and dotting their I's, don't worry too much about it. I've seen HR peoples' brains nearly shut down when I told them I hadn't any more references to give, some of them have real difficulty when they can't tick those boxes.

Send the person a copy of your CV, explain that you have no other references you could provide them with, and CC your own boss on the email.

HR/your employer won't let you go without your own boss agreeing to it, and he's not going to give two fncks about your references if he's happy with your work so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is a personal reference acceptable, rather than a work one? Can you find a sports coach, community leader, whatever who can just write you a recent reference?

This may be the easiest way to get HR off your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is a personal reference acceptable, rather than a work one? Can you find a sports coach, community leader, whatever who can just write you a recent reference?

This may be the easiest way to get HR off your back.

I'd tend to agree OP. This is probably the best way past the HR red tape.

As a side note I find it somewhat bemusing the fuss some places make over references. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see the value, but a lot of places won't state anything other than "x worked here between y and z in such and such a role" (certainly the norm in my current place and 2 others I've worked).

That leaves you then with personal references which are pretty much up to the individual you ask. Most people probably won't be too keen due to the perception (real or otherwise) that it could come back on them somehow.

While interviewing for one of the places I mentioned above, the subject of references came up. I explained to the HR staffer the above policy in the other place to which the answer was "Oh.. that's like us then. That's ok so".. I mean, why ask for references when your own company doesn't give them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

lajtel wrote: »
    This is an issue for me, as I am not able to provide any other references than the ones I already provided them with.

I would tell them this straight up, it's completely reasonable.

I see no way whatsoever that this is putting your job at risk, especially if you are doing a good job as you say. If anyone should be worried it's perhaps the sloppy HR function who took 3 months to notice this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

This happened to me twice across ten years with HR departments.
    Basically state these are the only references you can provide and can they accept non-work references. Then give landlord or lecturer/teacher reference. Sure that's all you can do. Will be fine.

Advertisement