Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to Days Of Work

Options
  • 20-05-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently moved departments to continue in my role within my Company. There was a business need to move departments to continue my role. As part of my role my hours of work have been Monday to Friday for the last three years. When I initially moved an email was sent to me (email received in 2014) explaining that my hours of work could only continue in my new department for 3 to 6 months. I did not reply to this email. I am one month short of a year and my hours of work are still the same. Since last July I have also being on a Fixed Shift that I requested from my employer. However today I was told that I have to change my role, my fixed shift can no longer stand and also I know have to start working one weekend in every three.

I have rejected this and I am standing firm. I have made the point that since my move my wife has found work and works a lot of Saturday's and that I am unable to afford childcare. We don't have family that can look after our son. I feel I am being treated unfairly and maybe in an unlawful and an illegal manner. I feel that I am being very flexible in that I am prepared to accept the role change but due to my family constraints I can't accept working one Saturday in every three. I feel that I am being forced out of my Job.

Please is there anyone that can offer help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Always difficult:
    • Was your previous role eliminated / not feasable anymore?
    • Çould you potentially return to it?
    • Did you get a new contract when you changed roles?
    • What does your contract say about your working hours?
    • What does your employee handbook say about working hours and changes to the hours?

It would have been best if you had addressed this when you changed roles & when your employer communicated this to you. Not replying to the original mail could be taken as acceptance of the new situation as you commenced/accepted the new role knowing that the hours would change. The employer could reasonably claim that the were flexible in giving you 6 months to make arrangement to sort out a childcare arrangement after the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭daheff

The employer could reasonably claim that the were flexible in giving you 6 months to make arrangement to sort out a childcare arrangement after the change.

Only if they told the employee the actual changes 6 months in advance. Just saying there will be changes isnt really informing the employee in such a manner that they can make alternative childminding arrangements.

However, that said, if the role has changed since you started, not being able to work the required days could end up with you being let go. Just refusing to do the days doesnt help (regardless of your reasons)

Advertisement