Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching accounting part-time/night classes

Options
  • 20-05-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me here, I've tried researching the internet but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm a qualified accountant, did degree & masters in accounting & hold my accountant qualification with Institute of Chartered Accountants since 2011. I'm currently employed in practice but the past while, I've been thinking that I'd love to teach evening classes.

Can someone tell me if this is possible or do I need a special teaching qualification? I was going to just send my CV around local public & private colleges for evening/night classes but I seen somewhere that I may possibly need to be registered with the Teaching Council!?

I'd greatly appreciate any input anyone may have here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Keep an eye out in the papers in late August/early September for advertisements for part-time, evening lecturers in various fields.

On such contracts, in Institutes of Technologies anyway, you do not need to be registered with the Teaching Council.

However, I believe it is a requirement for Further Education colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭skmck

Do you know if I can apply to the Teaching Council with my qualifications or do I need an additional/special teaching qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

skmck wrote: »
    Do you know if I can apply to the Teaching Council with my qualifications or do I need an additional/special teaching qualification?

I honestly have no idea.

Perhaps some of those that are registered with the TC could advise you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Keep an eye out in the papers in late August/early September for advertisements for part-time, evening lecturers in various fields.

On such contracts, in Institutes of Technologies anyway, you do not need to be registered with the Teaching Council.

However, I believe it is a requirement for Further Education colleges.

In FE colleges you would be expected to either have a teaching certificate or it may be possible to get a job if you're in the process of doing a course. It -doesn't have to be the traditional H-Dip; there are shorter specifically designed courses for FE and Adult Ed, which can be done part time.

And you don't need need a teaching qualification for evening courses, although they would probably take someone with one if they have a choice.

It's kind of ironic you don' t need a teaching qualification to teach at third level...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea.

Perhaps some of those that are registered with the TC could advise you.

You would have to have a teaching qualification for the Teaching Council...

• Advertisement
Advertisement