Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

pgibbo wrote: »
    For those that don't read ST I thought these links might be useful

Wetsuit Guide
    Using and Caring for your Wetsuit

What are your thoughts on cutting an inch or 2 off the ankle of the wetsuit?

I have trouble getting it off in T1, sometimes end up having to sit down and hook it over my heel. I bought some lube spray which I'll be trying this weekend. Failing that, should I take a scissors to it :-( ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I've cut a good chunk off mine at the ankles, not to make it quicker to get off but just found it pushed my legs too high. Has made a difference in getting it off though, much easier to take off. Probably never able to sell on the wetsuit now though but I do get the benefit of looking cool taking my wetsuit off like the ITU lads in T1.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

StaggerLee wrote: »

I have trouble getting it off in T1, sometimes end up having to sit down and hook it over my heel. I bought some lube spray which I'll be trying this weekend. Failing that, should I take a scissors to it :-( ??

Just to note, it voids any and all warranty (it the suit is under warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I know lots of people that have taken a scissors to their suits but I never have. If you do go that route start small as it's easier to cut off than add back on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Get yourself some suit juice it's great stuff my suit slips off no bother when using it.

• Advertisement

Yep, I've ordered some. Going to try that before the tailoring.

Yep, I've ordered some. Going to try that before the tailoring.

That'll sort the issue I bet. Just to note it works best when wet as in after getting out from your swim so if you're dry testing it might be an idea to spray the hose over your legs to replicate how wet you'll be if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That'll sort the issue I bet. Just to note it works best when wet as in after getting out from your swim so if you're dry testing it might be an idea to spray the hose over your legs to replicate how wet you'll be if you get me.

So in a race you would spray Suit Juice on your arms and legs in T1? Would Body Glide or similar not be better(faster) as you can apply it before a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Good article

Wetsuit Guide

Doeshedare wrote: »
    So in a race you would spray Suit Juice on your arms and legs in T1? Would Body Glide or similar not be better(faster) as you can apply it before a race?

Body glide isn't as slippery I find. It's more of a barrier type lub in so far it's thicker and adds a bit of protection from chaffing. I put on the suit juice when I put on my suit and it becomes a little tacky but as soon as it gets wet it's very slippery and suits slips off easily. As someone above said just like the ITU lads. :D

• Advertisement

No, it goes on before the swim, you'll be wet after.

Doeshedare wrote: »

Spray your arms and the inside of the suit with SuitJuice and it will slide around easily on the body making fitting a bit better.

Liberal application of bodyglide below the wetsuit on the legs and on your wrists will allow it to pop off really easily as the suit will slide on the skin.

Edit: remember the suit comes off inside out so anything on the inside of the suit won't help with getting it off. Lube on the skin (bodyglide) will help with removal

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Thanks AKW. I use Body Glide as directed already and even put some on the outside of the lower legs of the suit to help the suit slip easily against itself - maybe I just think that works. I havent used or seen SuitJuice before so I'll keep an eye out for some -expensive lark this!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

While we are on the topic of wetsuits, I am due to upgrade mine. I am not sure if it is badly fitting or just super stiff and lacking in flexibility, but my mates are always laughing at me when I struggle to get my suit on and have robotically stiff arms.

I am wondering if there is a sweetspot in the price/quality range. I want to get a suit that I wont want to upgrade. I this means going for almost top of line (Helix/Rogue/Vanquish) then I am prepared to do so but is this necessary?

JohnBee wrote: »
    I am wondering if there is a sweetspot in the price/quality range. I want to get a suit that I wont want to upgrade. I this means going for almost top of line (Helix/Rogue/Vanquish) then I am prepared to do so but is this necessary?

Mid range suits? :)

Nice balance between the better components & neoprene, technical elements in the suits, and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Wetsuit Guide

Put it on like your handling a new born baby.
    Take it off like your at a rave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Whistles and glow sticks for T1!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

I'm glad someone asked this because I was wondering about doing the same. I have only worn my wetsuit a couple of times but really struggled to get it off my legs.
    I suppose I was shaking with cold ( lake swim on Monday) and my fingers were almost numb but it is really really tight at my ankles and my feet seem too big to get it over. Would the suit juice / body glide stuff help there or can the ankles just be too tight? If I do trim it do you need to glue it or anything at the cut edge?

I know your not meant to but I use Baby Oil on my shins and forearms. I've had the wet-suit for 4 years now and contrary to popular belief it hasn't dissolved. Get both legs down to below the knee and then stand on the middle section with one foot while pulling the other out, then vice versa, usually works.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    I know your not meant to but I use Baby Oil on my shins and forearms.

Don't use this in a tri a tight wet suit is nothing compared to cooking your forearms and legs while out on the run bike. :eek:

• Advertisement

Animella wrote: »
    I'm glad someone asked this because I was wondering about doing the same. I have only worn my wetsuit a couple of times but really struggled to get it off my legs.
    I suppose I was shaking with cold ( lake swim on Monday) and my fingers were almost numb but it is really really tight at my ankles and my feet seem too big to get it over. Would the suit juice / body glide stuff help there or can the ankles just be too tight? If I do trim it do you need to glue it or anything at the cut edge?

Try the suit juice or body glide before you go at your suit with the scissors anyway.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Don't use this in a tri a tight wet suit is nothing compared to cooking your forearms and legs while out on the run bike. :eek:

I take your point but I think your safe enough in Ireland. Cant ever recall getting sun burned in Ireland.

I take your point but I think your safe enough in Ireland. Cant ever recall getting sun burned in Ireland.

You must be very sallow. Take a trip out to any beach during our week of sunshine you'll see more than one scalded body floating around. It doesn't need to be sunny to get sun burnt.

I meant at a race but your right, wear sun screen people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Lucky bastard, I remember getting sunburnt one year in Kilkee when it was raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I don't like body glide as it's sticks to my hairy bits ;) I use ky jelly on the insides of my elbows and knees, and Vaseline around the neck of the suit. For longer swims I use a lot of Vaseline on my neck, especially the sides. I had a deep wetsuit burn on my neck after a 4km swim nice and it took weeks to heal and was sore as fcuk.

BTH wrote: »
    Lucky bastard, I remember getting sunburnt one year in Kilkee when it was raining.

Here's one I did get at a 70.3. I think this covers me for a while.

Advertisement