Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lumia 930 and external memory?

Options
  • 20-05-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭
    Unregistered Users

Hi everyone.

Ms jou is looking for a new phone, she's interested in 830 or 930.

She'd prefer 930, but only if it's able to work with any external memory.

I know 930 has no memory card slot, so would be more than happy if any of you have an information if 930 can cooperate with a micro-USB stick (in terms of copying/moving files both ways).

Both own experience and links would be greatly appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

joujoujou wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Ms jou is looking for a new phone, she's interested in 830 or 930.

She'd prefer 930, but only if it's able to work with any external memory.

I know 930 has no memory card slot, so would be more than happy if any of you have an information if 930 can cooperate with a micro-USB stick (in terms of copying/moving files both ways).

Both own experience and links would be greatly appreciated. :D

WP8.1/Lumia 930 do not support USB On-The-Go which would be necessary for the phones to be able to transfer back and forth to an external device via the micro-USB connection. So, the answer is no, I'm afraid.

Still the 830 is a great phone, possibly better than the 930 in some ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

How much/how often will you be shifting large numbers/volumes of files? Is it mainly a music library or something like that? Probably stating the obvious but USB to Laptop works just fine. There are a few different ways to sync such libraries if that was the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    How much/how often will you be shifting large numbers/volumes of files? Is it mainly a music library or something like that? Probably stating the obvious but USB to Laptop works just fine. There are a few different ways to sync such libraries if that was the requirement.

In addition to that, if you're hoping to bring apps + settings between phones, that won't work if you use SD cards. Only the restore feature can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

MJohnston wrote: »
    WP8.1/Lumia 930 do not support USB On-The-Go which would be necessary for the phones to be able to transfer back and forth to an external device via the micro-USB connection. So, the answer is no, I'm afraid.

[...]
    Bad news, but thanks anyway!
    How much/how often will you be shifting large numbers/volumes of files?
    Me? Never!
    Is it mainly a music library or something like that?
    Photos, I'd say.
    Probably stating the obvious but USB to Laptop works just fine.
    Ahh, right. If she decide to buy it, that'd be the option for her.
    There are a few different ways to sync such libraries if that was the requirement.
    I know that's a no-brainer, but not for her. And I don't want to explain her that again and again. So definately usb to laptop. If... ;)

Thank you.
    theothernt wrote: »
    In addition to that, if you're hoping to bring apps + settings between phones, that won't work if you use SD cards. Only the restore feature can do that.
    No things like that. Files only.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Onedrive synchronization will be much more convenient for ms Jou than messing around with USB transfers. Set the phone up to only synchronize on WiFi at highest quality, and then configure the OneDrive client on the PC, and the pictures just "magically" show up on the PC.

(Obviously, you need a decent broadband connection for this to work well).

You might still want to do occasional housekeeping by connecting the phone directly to the PC, but the day to day business of backing up your photos from the phone just happens.

(Edited to refer to the correct beneficiary of this advice! - Sorry, Mr Jou!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Bayberry wrote: »
    Onedrive synchronization will be much more convenient for ms Jou than messing around with USB transfers. [...]

Ms jou prefers privacy over convenience. So do I. :cool:

Thank you for advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Onedrive is private though, Microsoft ain't gonna have the time to sort through the trillions of photos that get uploaded to their service!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ms jou prefers privacy over convenience. So do I. :cool:

Thank you for advice. :)

And if you're that concerned that people will get in by getting your username and password, then turn two factor authentication on.

That's something I recommend for most people any way.

Advertisement