Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overheating 2010 Passat.

Options
  • 20-05-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Okay, this morning my car kind overheated, and I arrived to work safe. Morning started with a 20 miles motorway drive, at motorway speeds, no traffic on M4. Joined a traffic jammed M50, and within 2/3 minutes, noticed what looked like smoke coming up from the bonnet. I had no option to continue on, as there was nowhere to pull in.

I put the heating on full, to try and get the temperature to drop. Normal operating temperature is 90 degrees, it was peaking at 99 degrees. Heating on full whack it was hovering over 96 degrees.

Arrived at work, oil and coolant levels at half. Oil was only changed 4k miles ago.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

Cooling fan not kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Check your radiator for leaks, dried coolant leaves a crystalline white kind of substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Any difference in performance?

Seeing lots of EGR Intercooler failures on Passat's as they get older. 2010 would be a prime candidate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Haven't checked for leaks or the cooling fan yet. I'll get mechanic to check EGR.

Forgot to mention, it's a diesel 1.6 Bluemotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So both coolant and also engine oil was only at half?
    When was the last time you checked coolant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

What's the miles? Check your water pump as these can fail

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fundthementals

jay28 wrote: »
    What's the miles? Check your water pump as these can fail

Agreed - if no visible leaks etc than its most likely that the water pump impeller has detached itself from the shaft ~100k km+ and you're probably in injury time with them..

Iiterally just passed 110k miles in the last few days. Car seemed fine driving home, keeping an eye on the temperature.

Funnily enough, the actual guage doesnt sway past the half-way marker, it's the digital readout that has me paranoid.

Car is going in for new pads tomorrow, but I'll get the heating system fully checked regardless. Glad to be in the Audi tomorrow instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My main concern here is actually not the coolant but the oil being at 50% according to OP.

OP, is either fluid looking different than it should? Is there "mayo" on the oil dip stick or is the coolant discoloured?

Are you sure oil was at 50%?

biko wrote: »
    My main concern here is actually not the coolant but the oil being at 50% according to OP.

OP, is either fluid looking different than it should? Is there "mayo" on the oil dip stick or is the coolant discoloured?

Are you sure oil was at 50%?

Yeah, first thing I checked for was gasket failure(Mayonaise), all good though. Now oil level was half, but I had litteraly pulled in off the motorway, so oil would still have been in the engine, and not all in the sump.

Oil change was done 2 months ago, and I'm changing it every 5k miles. Next oil change it due in about a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement