Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving WhatsApp folder to a new phone

Options
  • 20-05-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm here again!
    I would like to transfer/copy the WhatsApp folder from my old phone to the new one.
    I tried different ways, copying from one device to the other directly through a PC, copying the folder to the PC and then to the new phone, copying file by file, etc.
    None of them worked.
    I keep on having the current folder on my new phone with only two messages rather then the hundreds of messages from the previous phone.
    Is there a way to restore the old chats on my new device?
    Keep in mind that I can't access the WhatsApp menu of the old phone because it's half broken, I can only read the messages...
    As always, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Take the Whatsapp folder from your old phone and put it on the new one before you install Whatsapp on the new phone.
    When you install it, it searches for the backups made nightly and restores them itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

WhatsApp it's already installed on the phone.
    Is this the reason why it doesn't load the folder I'm transferring?
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

WhatsApp can backup online to Google Drive and transfer the messages etc that way to a new phone with the same number

WhatsApp can backup online to Google Drive and transfer the messages etc that way to a new phone with the same number

I cannot backup the old chats because I can't access the menu of this App.
    I saved the whole folder on my PC and then copied to the new phone.
    I unistalled WhatsApp and then re-installed it, it has found a folder and asked me to restore the backup. I said yes, but then it said that it wasn't possible to restore them for some unknown reason.
    So now I have a saved folder on the PC, the same folder on my new phone, but it can't be accessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

WhatsApp it's already installed on the phone.
    Is this the reason why it doesn't load the folder I'm transferring?
    Thank you!

Yep. It only imports the backup when its running its first setup

• Advertisement

Yep. It only imports the backup when its running its first setup

It didn't work, though...
    I unistalled the app, left the folder where it was, reinstalled the app, it asked me to retrieve the backup but it didn't work.

Advertisement