Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaw Cracking

Options
  • 19-05-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for advise. My jaw has started cracking everytime I eat etc. I went to my dentist who told me that it seems like a slipped disc and that I would need to see a Surgeon. I havent had an xray or anthing done. I have just been given an appointment now with surgeon and advised that it is Euro150 for consulation and Euro 50 for an xray. I am just wondering if there is anyway of getting this done using the medical card? Could I avail of a surgeon through dental hopsital or anything? I appreciate any advise. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

canihave wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for advise. My jaw has started cracking everytime I eat etc. I went to my dentist who told me that it seems like a slipped disc and that I would need to see a Surgeon. I havent had an xray or anthing done. I have just been given an appointment now with surgeon and advised that it is Euro150 for consulation and Euro 50 for an xray. I am just wondering if there is anyway of getting this done using the medical card? Could I avail of a surgeon through dental hopsital or anything? I appreciate any advise. Thanks

A clicking jaw is so common that it is considered normal… It is only when it becomes painful or causes limited opening or open lockjaw that surgical interventions are considered.

You could go to the oral surgery dept in the dental hospital or St james hospital but will wait about 2 years… Or go privately, be aware that not all private oral surgeons specialize in jaw joint surgery so ask in advance so you are getting value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

No offence Oral Surgeon, but the first line of treatment for a displacing disc is a stabilization splint. I have yet to meet an oral surgeon that would know which way round to insert a splint, yet alone make one properly. ;)

Surgery is hardly ever the answer for a clicky joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

No offence Oral Surgeon, but the first line of treatment for a displacing disc is a stabilization splint. I have yet to meet an oral surgeon that would know which way round to insert a splint, yet alone make one properly. ;)

Surgery is hardly ever the answer for a clicky joint.

Wait till you wake up fully before you reply Mo.... A clicking jaw is so common that it is considered normal… I don't want to open up any clicking joints....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Oh OS I agree with you, its just I am slagging oral surgeons.

How many oral surgeons does ti take to change a lightbuld - 1, he holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

Why cant oral surgeons dial 911......because they cant find the 11

3 Oral Surgeons walk into a building......you would think on of the would have seen it.

How do you confuse an Oral Surgeon? Put him in a circle and tell him to go to the corner.

...I jest.....i jest.....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Thank you for the replies. I haven't had an xray done on this yet. My bite has always been off but never experienced anything like this before. It is sore, even under my tongue is sore now. It is affecting my ear also. I didn't hurt this in anyway that I know of. Obviously I would like to avoid surgery but also I am not in a position to pay out huge money for this. I think I might chance the dental hopsital first and take it from there. Can I ask though - how do they put a splint on your jaw? I'm not even going to say what I am imagining with that. Also is this something that gets worse / improves with time - ie is there a possibility of me getting lock jawed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

A splint is a plastic device that is made to fit your teeth (can be top teeth, can be bottom teeth) kind of like a retainer. It's usually a hard plastic (but some dentists use soft ones). It's designed in such a way as to temporarily alter the position of your lower jaw to a)reduce jaw muscle activity or b) improve the relationship and functioning of the joints. You usually wear them at night time, although some are designed for full-time wear.

The dentist takes an impression or mould of the teeth and pours a stone model from the mould and then the splint is made on the model. It's a pain free procedure. Splints will often need regular adjustment by the dentist to achieve the desired effect.

Advertisement