Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School teaching job prospects

Options
  • 19-05-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Would anyone on here be able to tell me what job prospects for newly qualified primary school teachers will be like over the coming years? I have just completed a BA degree and am now thinking of taking a year out so that I can re-sit honours Irish in order to satisfy the entry requirements for a postgrad in primary teaching.

Also, when recruiting, do principles look upon teachers who trained with the likes of Hibernia less favourably than those who trained with the likes of Marino, Maynooth etc?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There is very, very little work for primary teachers to be had and hundreds of fully qualified teachers with experience finding it very difficult to get even a week's subbing.

Take a look at http://www.educationposts.ie/adverts/primary_level/employee/ and see the lack of permanent jobs.

Some recent posts from teachers on the forum of that site: "In the same school for next week which is a huge relief." "Extremely quiet, only getting a day a week."
    "2 years subbing and I'm fed up! Bring on the jobs "

If you think you can fork out for Hibernia or any other post grad and survive on a very irregular income, then yes, go for it. It's a fantastic job, but you really do need to love it. Have you had observed in a classroom recently? Sometimes people think teaching is completely different from the reality of a primary classroom today, so I would do observation before I'd make the commitment -financial and career wise.

To be blunt, yes, some principals don't regard Hibernia as highly as the other colleges, but they would be in the minority.

Advertisement