Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered to vote

Options
  • 19-05-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all. My question is regarding the voting on 22nd of May 2015 now regarding Marriage equality, yes or no, I leave that answer with me. My question is, I just received that card with information when and where I can vote. Does that mean that I can vote? or I have to be an irish citizen (with Irish passport and so on) to vote? Is that card sent to me like by mistake or I do have a right to vote? I'm EU citizen but living in Ireland long time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It means when you registered to vote you registered as an Irish citizen or were entered into the database as one.

Only Irish citizens are supposed to vote in referenda. You are an Irish citizen if you or a parent were born in Ireland, or if a grandparent was an Irish citizen and your birth was registered as a foreign one. Otherwise you would have to apply as you implied.

Everyone needs ID to vote, and they will be checked at the polling station, although it is as proof of identity.

Hope that clears it up somewhat. If you can't vote on the day you can still encourage others to do their civic duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mammu

I have been entered to database then by someone by mistake as citizen,because for last election that was here i've got registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Go into checktheregister.ie put in your details and see what it says. It will tell you if your registered as an Irish citizen etc.

If the details are incorrect contact your local council and enquire about getting it corrected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement