Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming training for newbie

Options
  • 19-05-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    looking for hints/tips to improve my swimming.

I recently have taken to it after getting some long overdue lessons to improve technique. My teacher at the time told me to go with a length building routine using front crawl and backstroke - doing 1 length rest, then 2 rest, then 3 rest then 4 rest, then 4,3,2,1

After a while i feel i have mastered this and from having a mixture of strokes have found I can now do this with relative ease with front crawl only

so my question is, what next? 5 front crawls then rest x 4?

any suggestions welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

It depends on what you are trying to achieve but......
    .....If you want to focus on front crawl/freestyle then you could do worse than look at the Triathlon/Duathlon/Adventure Race forum and in particular the 'Swimming Tri for Beginners' thread - dont be put off by the triathlon bit asI think its goal is get anyone to be able to swim 1500m comfortably.
    It gives week by week swim sets based on going 3 times a week (generallly accepted as the min needed to improve) with one set based on drills (technique), one short set and one long set. Although the thread has just ended you would have 26 weeks of training plans there.
    Almost everywhere I have ever looked has suggested focused intervals as in the thread and kind of like what you are doing already rather than getting into the pool and just swimming continuously (what a lot of people do and what I did first). The intervals can be short and fast or more endurance based.
    I used Swimsmooth alot at the beginning (http://www.swimsmooth.com/beginner.php) and bought the book which has some training sets at the back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057321888

Advertisement