Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Origin 2015

Options
  • 19-05-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Right folks State of Origin just around the corner and teams were announced this morning:

NSW
    1. Josh Dugan
    2. Daniel Tupou
    3. Josh Morris
    4. Michael Jennings
    5. William Hopoate
    6. Mitchell Pearce
    7. Trent Hodkinson
    8. Aaron Woods
    9. Robbie Farah (c)
    10. James Tamou
    11. Beau Scott
    12. Ryan Hoffman
    13. Josh Jackson
    Interchange
    14. Trent Merrin
    15. Boyd Cordner
    16. David Klemmer
    17. Andrew Fifita

QLD
    1. Billy Slater
    2. Darius Boyd
    3. Greg Inglis
    4. Justin Hodges
    5. Will Chambers
    6. Johnathon Thurston
    7. Cooper Cronk
    8. Beau Scott
    9. Cameron Smith (c)
    10. Nate Myles
    11. Aiden Guerra
    12. Sam Thaiday
    13. Corey Parker
    Interchange
    14. Daly Cherry Evans
    15. Josh McGuire
    16. Matt Gillett
    17. Jacob Lillyman
    18. Dylan Napa

It has also come out that DCE has a shoulder injury and will miss at least the first game and because of that, Michael Morgan, the exciting half back for the Cowboys has been included in his place.

I can see where NSW are coming from including more "experienced" players such as Josh Morris and Will Hoppoate, but I would have loved to see Moylan at full back and Dugan in the centres. Brett Morris is a loss too as is Greg Bird and Paul Gallen but I do think that Josh Jackson is the best young forward in the game and he'll flourish in this environment I think. I'm glad that Klemmer has been included in some capacity too as even though his form has dropped a small bit recently, his end of season form last year and form for Australia in the four nations tournament warrents his inclusion here.

I'm delighted that Mitchell Pearce is included at halfback, he's been in sensational form this year and I think Hodkinson would have come under strong pressure from Adam Reynolds of the Bunnies if the latter was 100% fit. Reynolds might still have a part to play yet if Trent doesn't fire in the early stages of the series. Does anyone think it's odd not to have a back on the interchange for NSW? QLD named DCE and now will have Morgan in there and if nothing else, it is just to cover against any injuries. I wouldn't mind NSW not doing it if Luke Lewis was named as he has experience of playing in the backline and esp in the halves. I guess that Cordner or Jackson could do a job in the centres and with Morris, Dugan and Hoppoate so flexible I'm sure that they could juggle a few guys around to fit whatever mini crisis occured.

For QLD then it's very much a "tried & trusted" formula with experienced guys like Thaiday, Myles in the forwards struggling for club form and maybe to a lesser extent, Inglis, Boyd and Cronk in the backs too. They come alive in this format of the game though and I for one wouldn't be backing against them drawing first blood at ANZ tomorrow week. Josh McGuire is an interesting inclusion on the bench but he has been in great form for the Broncos this year.

It promises to be a cracking series and I can't wait for next Wednesday now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Looking forward to another great series, rarely disappoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Good first half for the Blues. Looked like QLD were going to run riot early after the Cronk try but a great response by the Blues to cross the whitewash twice before the half and they lead 10-6. Incredibly like last year's first game too, it's all set up for a cracking second half!!

Just caught up, not a great second half but Queensland sneaked it. The all important drop goal the decider.

Lot of intensity today, but lacking a bit of skill generally? (Still above and beyond most other games though!) Both teams will improve next game I reckon.

Just caught up, not a great second half but Queensland sneaked it. The all important drop goal the decider.

Lot of intensity today, but lacking a bit of skill generally? (Still above and beyond most other games though!) Both teams will improve next game I reckon.

Yeah I have to agree there. The intensity and passion was there for all to see but the finishing of a few moves and just the general play was a bit lower than we are used to seeing from these guys.

I guess a case could be made that QLD's sole focus was to keep the ball in play off every one of their kicks to tire out the NSW's forwards, that there were bound to be errors, just down to the sheer fitness toll it was taking on the players. MCG next up now in a couple of weeks, that will be some atmosphere if they can fill it or at least get close to doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Poor game i thought. Lots of individual errors and little in the way of individual brilliance (Dugan's kick aside).

Woods and Tamou were decent in carrying the ball but i was surprised Smith wasn't able to exploit them more. They were very slow, Woods especially, in defence.

How stupid were NSW in not attempting the one pointer on 75 mins btw. They basically had a full set on the Queensland line and no one put their hand up. Unforgivable.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Poor game i thought. Lots of individual errors and little in the way of individual brilliance (Dugan's kick aside).

Woods and Tamou were decent in carrying the ball but i was surprised Smith wasn't able to exploit them more. They were very slow, Woods especially, in defence.

How stupid were NSW in not attempting the one pointer on 75 mins btw. They basically had a full set on the Queensland line and no one put their hand up. Unforgivable.

Yeah it nearly seemed as though they HAD to attempt a field goal on tackle five. They had a great set up on tackle 3 and no one put their hand up. Then on tackle 5, they hit the wrong guy with the ball and Dugan couldn't convert. To rub salt in the wounds then, QLD go up the other end and Cronk slots it easily.

Game 2 nearly upon us. Odd having it in Melbourne Cricket Ground, it's been a while I think, I don't remember it there in recent years anyway. Hopefully a better game than the first one, and a NSW win to keep the series interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boogers01

We are heading into Dublin now - is there anywhere to watch a replay of the second game apart from Woolshed Baa? Thanks!

So it was 14 - 10 to the blues at half time. Fancy QLD to win this though, NSW defence a bit shaky, and read a report saying the right hand side is where QLD will get at them and have to agree.

My prediction not looking likely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Controversial call on the QLD forward to call back the try. As a (slightly pro-NSW) neutral I'm happy to see it go down to game 3.

Trojan wrote: »
    Controversial call on the QLD forward to call back the try. As a (slightly pro-NSW) neutral I'm happy to see it go down to game 3.

Yeah, me too, always better when there's something on the last game (although I'd say I'm a slightly pro Maroons neutral). Thought there was a couple of dodgy calls that game, but it was much more entertaining all round than game 1.

Yeah, me too, always better when there's something on the last game (although I'd say I'm a slightly pro Maroons neutral). Thought there was a couple of dodgy calls that game, but it was much more entertaining all round than game 1.

Yeah I think the blues deserved it overall. I thought their forwards and left hand side were immense with Jennings and Hoffman particularly impressive. All set up for game 3 now but you'd think if QLD can get Cronk back fit and the fact that the decider is in Suncorp, they should have too much. Also I thought Thurston was immense today. You always take for granted his skill and ability to create but his work rate, hussle and the bravery through the punishment he takes on a week to week basis is amazing

On the left side? Did you think the left side was impressive? I thought the left side was impressive for both teams, particularly the left side.

I don't think anything else was even mentioned in the "analysis" :)

Trojan wrote: »
    On the left side? Did you think the left side was impressive? I thought the left side was impressive for both teams, particularly the left side.

I don't think anything else was even mentioned in the "analysis" :)

Haha that's true both "left sides" were effective on attack for both teams! I didn't watch the analysis afterwards but I'd say they were waxing lyrical about those units!

One thing I did think was funny/refreshing was when GI picked up the loose Pearce carry and was about to run the length of the field and Wally Lewis completely impartial commentator that he is was shouting "go on you good thing!" As he made his break! Just thought that was brilliant as try as they might, these former players are always going to have alliances and it's good to see them surface now and again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

skippymac6 wrote: »

One thing I did think was funny/refreshing was when GI picked up the loose Pearce carry and was about to run the length of the field and Wally Lewis completely impartial commentator that he is was shouting "go on you good thing!" As he made his break! Just thought that was brilliant as try as they might, these former players are always going to have alliances and it's good to see them surface now and again!!

Yeah that was funny alright. He was at it when Mitchell Pearce had his try disallowed too screaming 'its a forward pass, its a forward pass'.

Thought it was the right call to deny Inglis anyway. It was stripped from Jennings 2 on 1 earlier in the set so it would have been tough on NSW not get the rub of the green on either count.

Much better game this. Don't know if it was the return of Gallen or not but the NSW forwards were far more aggressive in everything they did. In game one i felt they were passive, almost a bit lazy, in defence. Cordners hit on Thurston epitomised the change in mindset.

I'd imagine the niggle that gradually built during the game will spill over into the decider. Should be good.:D

Kicking off in 2 minutes.

Crazy the way rugby league refs call all dropped balls a knock 'on' even when the ball goes backwards.

This is becoming a rout.

Painful. It just gets worse and worse.

• Advertisement

An absolute rout in the end. I think myself (and a lot of others) got caught up in the hype of the "young blues rampaging forwards" and thought perhaps that QLD with 8 starters over 30, were going to find it tough. Their key players in the backs Smith, Thurston, Cronk and Inglis just completely overshadowed their opposite numbers and behind a dominant pack, they just dictated the game. The game was pretty much over at ht were the blues were guilty of giving away some moronic penalties and after that it was always going to be a mountain to climb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Disappointing showing from the Blues, but QLD were pretty damn good too. Thurston was a machine with the boot for the series.

Advertisement