Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doubts about current employment

Options
  • 18-05-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been working at Applebees for a year now as a server. for the first few months i was quite problematic, and also quit a couple times and almost let go because of a screw up that i was. but I am now one of the lead servers. Alot of new people as well. We just recently had a new GM take over the store and things are changing. but it has come to my attention ,from a couple other servers who have been there just as long as i have, that ever since i became a neighborhood expert(which is a trainer/ halfway to management) that i have gone on a power trip. i really dont know how some people see it and others dont, i know i can be a little rough sometimes with how i say things but all i try to do is get these newer people on a level so that they arent like i was when i first started.

I also have the urge to always do better then the day before, and always trying to learn new things to do my job better.Like now I am trying to move into a bartending position and i know 2 other people are going to go for it as well. and i feel that i am better for the job then them, because i have the dedication to my job and care about the kind of work i do. these other 2, are both lazy and dont have the dedication that i have. i am truely at a loss here,

I am also looking to do a bartending class with ABC bartending school. and see where that may lead me if it leads me away from applebees anyways.

this was kind of a ramble on about my current issue at work, and it may make some sense, but i could really use some good advice,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you based in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GrimJoker

Yes i am

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GrimJoker wrote: »
    Yes i am

Most of us are in Ireland, is there a reason you posted on an Irish forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

From your mail, I am unsure what topic you want advice on.

You mention a new manager, but you don't clearly identify an issues with that change.

You also mention that you have discovered that some of your co-workers think that you are heavy-handed.

- This could be jealousy, of performance/promotion, if you are as good and dedicated as you mention.
    - Or they could be right? In which case you need to decide if this needs changing for you to be successful.

As to training as a bartender, it is always good to develop your skills so I would encourage that, perhaps ask your GM if they will support/arrange for some in-house training or job-shadowing to support the external training.

You should consider other employers if your current one is no longer a fit, but don't jump before you are ready, start building your contacts at businesses that you really want to work with and looking for some opportunities to build some experience in bar-tending.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Watch this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348333/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_31

It will make you realise that life is too short. I know a guy that left a bar tending job he hated, enlisted in the USAF, did his 3 years, had a blast, made lifelong friends and then went to college on the GI bill, has VA benefits. Has a good job and a nice home now

• Advertisement
Advertisement