Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[WTD] Wetsuit for skinny teenager

Options
  • 18-05-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

My 13y.o. son is 164cm tall, 46kg with approximately 76cm chest and 73cm hips. He has a wetsuit that he bought for horsing around in the water but it's not really suitable (tight enough) for prolonged immersion, at this time of year anyway.

We're both embarking on a program of swim training next week intended to make us competent, confident open water swimmers by next summer. So I'm ok but I'm looking for a half decent wetsuit for him - I'm well open to getting a used suit because he's not going to stay the size he is for long.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    My 13y.o. son is 164cm tall, 46kg with approximately 76cm chest and 73cm hips. He has a wetsuit that he bought for horsing around in the water but it's not really suitable (tight enough) for prolonged immersion, at this time of year anyway.

We're both embarking on a program of swim training next week intended to make us competent, confident open water swimmers by next summer. So I'm ok but I'm looking for a half decent wetsuit for him - I'm well open to getting a used suit because he's not going to stay the size he is for long.

How long will he stay in the water for (and how confident is he?). I go through the same thing with my son, cheepo surf suits from Aldi will do for the moment, given the rate of growth. He's outgrowing clothes every four months so a proper wetsuit is not a good investment.

TBH kids don't feel the cold as adults do, and he'll get used to the temps pretty quick. Make sure he has two or three swim caps on; that's the best bang for your buck regards water temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

At the moment he's not confident or strong in ow (any more than myself - but we're both very inexperienced outside a pool) and I guess the most he'd be in for is probably a half hour or 40 mins. The suit he has is from Decathlon and the legs are very loose on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I'm sure someone will come along with the offer of a suit, but in the meantime...

...a loose suit is much better than no suit, and there are plenty of people who swim year round with no suit. If you sit in the water for 40 minutes you will get a lot colder than if you work hard (stay active, get HR up, work on stroke) for 15 mins. Then 20 mins next time. Before you know it you'll be up to an hour and more- but keep moving, thats what its all about. Small periods in the OW for the moment, your body will build up a resistance.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Try a women's size S or XS suit?

Advertisement