Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Voting (How it Works)

Options
  • 18-05-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm writing an article for my website and I want to write about the process of postal voting. I have found very little online about the process other than how to register. I've tried contacting vote.ie about the questions but I received no response. I was hoping any of you that are familiar with the process could briefly walk me through it for my article.

I just want to know what happens after a person (such as a student) sends off their postal registration form. Do they receive a letter with a polling card to their new address? Do they have to go and collect it? Do they vote a few days before the general vote? How does that work? I just want a brief idea of the whole process.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I registered for a postal vote because I'll be working away from my constituency. I downloaded the form, filled it out, then got it signed by my employer. A week or so later, I received my ballot paper along with 2 envelopes and instructions. I'll have to go to my nearest Garda station and present them with my ID so they can verify it's me voting. Then the ballot paper is to be inserted into the smaller envelope, then posted away inside the bigger envelope. However, I still have questions of my own, which aren't answered in the instructions.
    Do they vote a few days before the general vote?

I have no idea whether or not I should have sent my ballot paper away already or wait until Friday? If anyone with more knowledge could let me know, that'd be great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dorgasm wrote: »
    I have no idea whether or not I should have sent my ballot paper away already or wait until Friday? If anyone with more knowledge could let me know, that'd be great.

If you send it on Friday its not getting counted - it won't arrive in time.

Advertisement