Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insufficient space to install apps

Options
  • 18-05-2015 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

My tablet has loads of free space in it, about 12Gb, but it won't let me install any new apps. Is there any way to reconfigure how much space is dedicated to app storage?

I know there's been similar threads, which advise to clear cache - but surely this is limited in what it can do? Also, I don't want to move apps to an SD card, as I do move SD cards in and out of it, don't want to have to leave the same one in there all the time.

The tablet is a Prestigio multipad with android 4.1.1 on it

I don't mind reinstalling the OS if this is whats required (am reasonably competent), just need a reliable step-by-step guide for it.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

kelbal wrote: »
    My tablet has loads of free space in it, about 12Gb, but it won't let me install any new apps. Is there any way to reconfigure how much space is dedicated to app storage?

The tablet is a Prestigio multipad with android 4.1.1 on it

thanks
    This baby?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/prestigio_multipad_7_0_hd-5566.php
    Internal Storage 4 GB, 1 GB RAM

IMHO, You have no choice but to root it, then use link2sd to link the apps on your internal memory to you 12GB sd card.

4GB internal memory FFS, what was the manufacturer thinking...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

No, this is mine....

http://www.gsmarena.com/prestigio_multipad_2_prime_duo_8_0-5576.php

There is 16GB internally, and even though I have plenty of that free (the 12GB free I was talking about is part of the internal 16GB, not an external SD card), I get the insufficient space warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It may be possible to free up space by moving some existing apps to the SD...

>Settings
    >Apps

Then sort by size and work through them from biggest to smallest to see which can be moved to SD (not all can) but maybe avoid moving the apps you use most.

The other thing to do is clear the cach...

>Settings
    >Storage
    >Cached Data

Edit... The 12gb free is the internal SD rather than a swappable one, leave the swappable card out while you're doing this if you want to be sure things stay an the internal

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It may be possible to free up space by moving some existing apps to the SD...

>Settings
    >Apps

Then sort by size and work through them from biggest to smallest to see which can be moved to SD (not all can) but maybe avoid moving the apps you use most.

The other thing to do is clear the cach...

>Settings
    >Storage
    >Cached Data

Edit... The 12gb free is the internal SD rather than a swappable one, leave the swappable card out while you're doing this if you want to be sure things stay an the internal

great, thanks a mil

kelbal wrote:
    There is 16GB internally, and even though I have plenty of that free (the 12GB free I was talking about is part of the internal 16GB, not an external SD card), I get the insufficient space warning.

Okay, that's more like it.
    Right, first thing to do is find out where your memory is being eaten.

Delete an app if necessary, but install this app and upload a screengrab
    [url] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage[/url]

• Advertisement

Ok so, trying to get my head around storage options. There's internal (1GB) and SD card storage (about 13GB). Both are built in storage, i.e. not a removable SD card in there.

The internal storage is running out, and this is where the complaint about lack of space is coming from.

But some apps seem to have been installed on the SD card storage. Don't ever remember seeing an option on where to install an app.

There's an option in app settings to "move to storage", but its greyed out, even if I force stop the app.

kelbal wrote: »
    Ok so, trying to get my head around storage options. There's internal (1GB) and SD card storage (about 13GB). Both are built in storage, i.e. not a removable SD card in there.

The internal storage is running out, and this is where the complaint about lack of space is coming from.

But some apps seem to have been installed on the SD card storage. Don't ever remember seeing an option on where to install an app.

There's an option in app settings to "move to storage", but its greyed out, even if I force stop the app.
    A NEXUS 7 with 32GB onboard only makes 26GB available to users, so there is no chance your device with 16GB allows 13GB to users. That must be a micro sd card.

As regards the 1GB internal, I assume you mean 1GB remaining/available.

Yes the whole memory thing was confusing pre-Jelly Bean.
    Some manufacturers used internal memory and "internal" sd card storage interchangeably.
    If you bought and inserted in a micro sd card, it was called an "external" sd card.

Apps were broken into 2/3 parts. I'm not familiar enough with the different parts to try and explain. But some apps were programmed to put files on the external memory card if possible rather than clog your internal memory. Kind of like MS Word or Excel puts your documents/spreadsheets in "My Documents" instead of under "Program Files" or the Windows folder.

Anyway, in your case, you need that Diskusage app to tell you exactly where everything is.

Advertisement