Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant

Options
  • 18-05-2015 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

When can you usually tell if you're pregnant? I had sex two weeks ago and I think I'm already experiencing some of the symptoms like spotting, cramps, sore breasts etc. But I feel that two weeks after is too soon to tell? I'm 18 and absolutely terrified that I am so if anyone could give me some help or advice that'd be great! thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Oh you poor thing you must be so anxious!
    OP get a test. You can take it after two weeks. But if it comes out negative do another one again after a while. Did you use contraception was it unprotected?

It depends on your hormone levels. I would go to your doctor since you have mentioned spotting it can be a sign of implantation. Even if you are not pregnant you should get that checked.

Obviously don't tell the guy until you know for certain. And in future use protection.

Good luck girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

Do a pregnancy test. You can get cheap sensitive ones in Dealz. After two weeks, you'll most likely get a positive result if you are pregnant.

If it's negative and your period still hasn't arrived within the next few days, do another one.

No point really in going to the doctor until you either get a positive result or until your period is significantly late.

Try not to torture yourself with the "what ifs" just yet, until you know whether or not you're actually pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Just wanna ask when can you usually tell you're pregnant? I had sex about two weeks ago and feel like I'm already experiencing some of the symptoms (spotting, cramps, sore breasts). My period is due next week so I don't know for definite until then, I took the morning after pill but it failed so I'm terrified that I might be pregnant (I''m 18 and in college). Is there anyone out there who could tell me usually how soon you start experiencing the symptoms that'd be great! thanks

To be honest Ramonarosie only a positive pregnancy test will tell you for sure. A lot of those symptoms you described can be pre menstrual symptoms too. Have never taken the morning after pill, do you mind me asking how you know it failed?

With regards to feeling symptoms, some people swear they can feel them with a couple of days of ovulation. Some peoples first symptom is their missed period and some people feel symptoms around 6-8 weeks. My two successful pregnancies were completely different in terms of symptoms. With one I more or less knew before I tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Some times when you think you're pregnant, the regular aches and symptoms that you don't notice any other month become more highlighted. Only thing that can tell you is a test. You're going to torture yourself otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I was going to ask that too, about the MAP? I don't think you can know whether it worked or not, until you get your period, can you? And even then, you don't know whether it was the MAP that actually worked, or if you just wouldn't have got pregnant that time anyway.

Im trying to remember if it brings your period on early (only ever took it once) but I'm fairly sure not.

Anyway, on the OP's question I can only agree that a pregnancy test is the only reliable way of knowing.

Hope it sorts itself out for you, OP. Probably will, you know - being worried about pregnancy (whether because you really really want to be, or really really don't want to be!) can make any "symptoms" feel more significant than they maybe really are.

Edit : just came back to say (and forgive me if you already know this) that the MAP can play havoc with your cycles for a couple of months after, so there's a risk that unprotected sex after the MAP can be even more risky for pregnancy, if you don't know where in your cycle you are. It really is only for emergency use and not very useful as a regular method of contraception.

So be careful for the next couple of months, and really if you're going to be having sex, you need to find a more reliable method, even condoms are better , so you don't have to go back every couple of months for the MAP and go through that stress every single time.

The MAP is most useful if you use it as back-up, not as your main contraception!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The early symptoms of pregnancy are pretty much identical to symptoms of pmt - sore boobs and cramping (spotting isn't a typical pregnancy symptom) and so on and chances are the only reason you've even noticed them this month is because you are actively looking for them. They probably occur every month in a very similar way but because you know that you couldn't possibly be pregnant that month, you don't pay attention to the symptoms.

You can do a test now, cheap tests these days can be very reliable - test with the first urine of the morning for a more accurate result.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ramonarosie

Thanks for all the replies :) Probably too much detail but he lied about using a condom and I didn't find out till after, took the morning after but I don't know how effective it was cus it was a good like 16 hours or so after the sex and I got sick within 2 hours of taking it so I don't know the chances of it working but it doesn't look great! Also because of where I am in my cycle, it happened at pretty much the worst time if you don't want to get pregnant!

Ok, well, looks like you may just bite your nails and wait!!

Seriously though, 16 hours is probably OK, though vomiting is not so good. As for your cycle, hard to know if you aren't following it really carefully with a thermometer or something, many women aren't that regular and even when they are, don't usually know the exact time when they ovulate. And since ovulation is the crucial bit (the sperm can live for several days, the ovum lasts about 24 hours tops, iirc) and not the sex, it's quite hard to be sure.

Anyway, really hope it works out for the best for you! Get a pregnancy test kit in the chemist ASAP, it will probably put your mind at rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Thanks for all the replies :) Probably too much detail but he lied about using a condom and I didn't find out till after, took the morning after but I don't know how effective it was cus it was a good like 16 hours or so after the sex and I got sick within 2 hours of taking it so I don't know the chances of it working but it doesn't look great! Also because of where I am in my cycle, it happened at pretty much the worst time if you don't want to get pregnant!

As far as i remember you can take it up to 72 hours after. Its the vomiting that'll be the problem.

Do a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rubyruby12

Hey just wondering has anyone ever heard of anyone getting preg on depo provera this is my 3rd shot of it will get my 4th next month I have been experiencing unusual symptoms like uncomfortable stomach throughout the day and then find it hard to get comfortable at night (deffo not like me) strange sensation around my belly button like someone is poking it and feel nauseous couple of times during the day I have had 1migrane last week which I don't suffer with headaches and then obviously weight gain just looking for opinions thanks

• Advertisement

rubyruby12 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering has anyone ever heard of anyone getting preg on depo provera this is my 3rd shot of it will get my 4th next month I have been experiencing unusual symptoms like uncomfortable stomach throughout the day and then find it hard to get comfortable at night (deffo not like me) strange sensation around my belly button like someone is poking it and feel nauseous couple of times during the day I have had 1migrane last week which I don't suffer with headaches and then obviously weight gain just looking for opinions thanks

Nothing is 100% reliable, even Depo Provera (though it's one of the surest methods).

Still, get a pregnancy test, that way you'll be settled. It's the only way to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rubyruby12

volchitsa wrote: »
    Nothing is 100% reliable, even Depo Provera (though it's one of the surest methods).

Still, get a pregnancy test, that way you'll be settled. It's the only way to know for sure.

Thanks I know I should I live in my boyfriends parents house so tad bit awkward to find the right time and how to dispose of it without them seeing it

Thanks I know I should I live in my boyfriends parents house so tad bit awkward to find the right time and how to dispose of it without them seeing it

They're not big, keep it in a bag or a coat pocket till you use it. Do the test in the bathroom/toilet first thing in the morning, then put it back in its box till you can dispose of it in a bin somewhere else.

But no point in asking people on here to guess for you!

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Freudiangirl32

Do a test in a public toilet.... no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Do a test in a public toilet.... no hassle

This thread is two years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement