Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Watch?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Not the wonderful Casablanca scene, I know this is the wrong place but forgive me if I share anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th0G8rkhBqg

I'm looking for advice on which watch to buy.

I want GPS. I've been reading till I'm blue in the face. I don't like shopping so please just give me the "right" answer.

I've been looking at various Garmin. I have a Polar with hrm (no gps) but to be honest the strap was just becoming a nuisance and I couldn't be bothered. I've heard a few people give out about their Garmins but I'm not necessarily put off.

I swim and got rightly turned on by the swim features of the new Garmin 920xt but it doesn't have a hrm (unless you include the strap), but it does have a metronome which I like, it also comes with a very (un)attractive price tag.

I like the idea of 225 with the hrm on the wrist, but I'm not sure if it will work in the water???

All the polar seem to have to use the strap for hrm which I already have so maybe one of those makes more sense? Can I get a polar with swim features, gps, metronome/cadence capability (Without using the strap?) is there such a watch??

Would want to put this on at the start of a triathlon and leave it on, have it "coach" me around.

Anyone help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

engol wrote: »
    Not the wonderful Casablanca scene, I know this is the wrong place but forgive me if I share anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th0G8rkhBqg

I'm looking for advice on which watch to buy.

I want GPS. I've been reading till I'm blue in the face. I don't like shopping so please just give me the "right" answer.

I've been looking at various Garmin. I have a Polar with hrm (no gps) but to be honest the strap was just becoming a nuisance and I couldn't be bothered. I've heard a few people give out about their Garmins but I'm not necessarily put off.

I swim and got rightly turned on by the swim features of the new Garmin 920xt but it doesn't have a hrm (unless you include the strap), but it does have a metronome which I like, it also comes with a very (un)attractive price tag.

I like the idea of 225 with the hrm on the wrist, but I'm not sure if it will work in the water???

All the polar seem to have to use the strap for hrm which I already have so maybe one of those makes more sense? Can I get a polar with swim features, gps, metronome/cadence capability (Without using the strap?) is there such a watch??

Would want to put this on at the start of a triathlon and leave it on, have it "coach" me around.

Anyone help please?

225 is run only. No swim or bike features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Have sunto ambit 2s. Can't fault it. Hrm is separate but everything else works fine. Quick gps lock on. Tri compatible. Open water and internal pool compatible. Fully customisable segments for adventure races too.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Have sunto ambit 2s. Can't fault it. Hrm is separate but everything else works fine. Quick gps lock on. Tri compatible. Open water and internal pool compatible. Fully customisable segments for adventure races too.

Sounds good. I'll have a google. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

tomtom multisport cardio (€300) - has HRM direct at the wrist and GPS works fine in OW (in run mode/not swim mode)
    swim mode is much the same as Garmin Swim (no HRM, no GPS) - a good lap and stroke counter

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I've an ambit 2... Smashing piece of kit but doesn't have Hrm on swimming. Ironman suitable battery. Ambit 3 does have swim hrm I think and Bluetooth hook up but is pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

To answer the OP the only Polar giving you the options is the V800 = Ambit 3 = 920 range of watches.

Your existing HRM won't work with the new generation of Polar watches as they are all BT now (bar the V800 which is dual broadcast). TBH while able to read HR in water most men don't bother as the strap slips in pool swimming unless wearing a top or trisuit.

I would be less focussed on the HR in the water and look at the other features you really need first and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

AKW wrote: »
    To answer the OP the only Polar giving you the options is the V800 = Ambit 3 = 920 range of watches.

Your existing HRM won't work with the new generation of Polar watches as they are all BT now (bar the V800 which is dual broadcast). TBH while able to read HR in water most men don't bother as the strap slips in pool swimming unless wearing a top or trisuit.

I would be less focussed on the HR in the water and look at the other features you really need first and work from there.

Old style. Finish your rep take your pulse on your neck for 10s (use the pool clock) and multiply by 6. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Experience:

Old forerunner 205, sunnto ambit 2s. nike gps watch, polar, and now an edge 500.

Observations over the years:
    GPS doesnt work well for open water, and for most of us open water training is only a minority of our work.

For multisport watches, I find they are not much use on the bike.

Therefore I would suggest the forerunner 225 like you are considering (which has HRM on wrist) and a bike specific GPS (easier to read on the go).

My 2c.

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Old style. Finish your rep take your pulse on your neck for 10s (use the pool clock) and multiply by 6. Sorted!

Actually meant to write that ^ in spite of the watch its how I check my HR at the pool after an interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

AKW wrote: »
    Actually meant to write that ^ in spite of the watch its how I check my HR at the pool after an interval.
    Doesn't your V800 do that for you? :confused:

• Advertisement

Doesn't your V800 do that for you? :confused:

Yep but the strap is a pain in the butt in the pool. Keeps sliding down. Only ever use HR under a tri or wetsuit after the first couple of excited attempts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

JohnBee wrote: »
    Experience:

Old forerunner 205, sunnto ambit 2s. nike gps watch, polar, and now an edge 500.

Observations over the years:
    GPS doesnt work well for open water, and for most of us open water training is only a minority of our work.

For multisport watches, I find they are not much use on the bike.

Therefore I would suggest the forerunner 225 like you are considering (which has HRM on wrist) and a bike specific GPS (easier to read on the go).

My 2c.

Personally I'd agree. I used to use a watch on the bike and found it a pain. I have used an Edge 500 for the last few years and love it. I use a 910 for my swimming and running. Unless you want to upload your swim workouts a cheap stopwatch would do coupled with a run specific watch. Personally I'd be on the look out for a bargain 910 as a lot of people are upgrading to the 920.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

pgibbo wrote: »
    Personally I'd agree. I used to use a watch on the bike and found it a pain. I have used an Edge 500 for the last few years and love it. I use a 910 for my swimming and running. Unless you want to upload your swim workouts a cheap stopwatch would do coupled with a run specific watch. Personally I'd be on the look out for a bargain 910 as a lot of people are upgrading to the 920.

I agree with you. My weekly coached swim session (run by a regional champ) is all old school clock on the wall paced times which actually now I find much better.

Plus there are great deals on the Garmin edge 500 now (since the new model is out, but I am told the screen on the new model is harder to read).

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Thanks for all the replies.

Head was wrecked trying to pick one. So many to choose from.

I got a Garmin forerunner 220 in the end and will just go with the old fashioned pulse check for the pool ;)

cheers!

Advertisement