Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education allowance, part time work and job seekers transitional payment for

Options
  • 17-05-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi - im just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me, finding it confusing! I'm currently working part time and on one parent family partial payment. Im not eligible for it after this June as my daughter is over 7 so will be getting job seekers transitional. Im looking at going back to study in September. Do I need to be unemployed for 3 months before getting back to education allowance or just on a partial payment social welfare payment for 3 months.? Also does the change make a difference to my entitlement to btea in September? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

AFAIK, if you are on a partial payment then you must be in receipt of it for the total number of days.
    For instance.
    If you are getting a third of the payment and the required amount of time to be on the full payment is 100 days.
    The you would need to be on that part payment for 300 days to qualify.

I would not be 100% on this part of the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AshRHCP

Sup08 wrote: »
    AFAIK, if you are on a partial payment then you must be in receipt of it for the total number of days.
    For instance.
    If you are getting a third of the payment and the required amount of time to be on the full payment is 100 days.
    The you would need to be on that part payment for 300 days to qualify.

I would not be 100% on this part of the BTEA.

Thanks :) just an update as its a grey area with the new transitional payment but single parents can apply to susi for maintenance grant and not have to go to btea just keep their full payment it will usually work out better than just btea unless you are planning to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cathy1985

Hi. Yes you would be better off not changing to BTEA as you could get the 'special rate' Grant. I myself am returning to college in September but its to do a Masters not an undergraduate so I'm u sure if I'll be entitled to the Job Seekers Transiton payment because it's a postgraduate, although it doesn't state anywhere if it can be or not. Any one enlighten me?thanks ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Cathy1985 wrote: »
    Hi. Yes you would be better off not changing to BTEA as you could get the 'special rate' Grant.

If you are eligible for the full rate BTEA €188, then it works out around €814 and is more than the special rate grant of around €655 per month.

Advertisement