Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted upgrades?? Risky or safe?

Options
  • 17-05-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hope this is the right place to post. Just wanted to get people's opinions on buying "unwanted upgrades" when purchasing a new phone and wether or not it's risky business?

For example. I want a particular phone and see it online being sold as an unwanted upgrade for 150 less then the price to buy in store so it seems like a good bargain.... But what risks are involved? Wouldn't i be buying a phone that technically the carrier owns so they could potentially black list it at any stage for whatever reason?

Also. The term "unwanted upgrade" is interesting because doesn't that imply that the carrier just randomly sent you out the phone and it wasn't wanted therfore it's an unwanted upgrade? I thought you have to actually enquire and choose the phone urself meaning that technically it was a wanted upgrade that you have decided to sell instead of keep for whatever reason.

Also. Alot of sellers online sell more then one unwanted upgrade. How can they have multiple unwanted upgrades?

Cheers for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Sellers selling more than one unwanted upgrade is as dodgy as it sounds. If buying from sites like adverts.ie, most sellers are private individuals and you have no legal recourse if the phone is defective, blocked, etc so I would advise against it, even if you save €150. There always is a prospect of somebody getting a phone on contract, defaulting and the phone being completely blocked to use.

Advertisement