Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pool triathlons

Options
  • 17-05-2015 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi can anyone tell me if there are any pool triathlons please? did my first sea swim and really didnt like it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

bungalow wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me if there are any pool triathlons please? did my first sea swim and really didnt like it.

AFAIK they usually happen at the start of the season. Open water tris have started now. But you might be lucky and find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Naas triathlon is a pool one and usually happens towattds the end of the season. You should check the TI calander.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Not many do. If at first you dont succeed, never try again. (Homer J)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

dont be too discouraged, I found river swim is usually alot less imtimidating and lake the same, or do some smaller aquathons ,camlough will have wednesday ones during the summer in the lake or as a member of Tri an Mhi there will usually be a few small club ones.
    a bit of practice will give you confidence, stick with it

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Hi can anyone tell me if there are any pool triathlons please? did my first sea swim and really didn't like it.

The fact you didn't like it but want to go again means you have succeeded! Welcome to triathlon!

I have done 3 open water races at this stage and didn't like any of the swims, still gets me nervous! But that is part of the fun, embrace it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I don't like OW swims either but I'm actually intimidated because of the temperatures here (I'm originally from Croatia) - I still can't believe I'm doing my first OW swim in few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Am I one of the few that hate pool triathlons?

Every one I have done there is always somebody ahead who after touching his foot to let him know I'm overtaking, doesn't let me overtake at the end of the length. Then there's all the people who over estimate their swim times.
    The last one I did was Joey Hannon Olympic last year & I went 2nd last in my lane & had to pass out 6 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

As it happens last Sunday I also did my first ever sea swim and I wasn't thrilled with it on the day - stubbornness was making me persist.

Today I went back and it was WAY better. I was sorry when my arms started getting tired because I was enjoying it so much. Last time I barely put my face in, this time I felt confident to do that from the off and I'm still buzzing from it all.

Like the others said, don't give up yet. It's unlike anything we've done before but that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Last week I did my first open water swim in the Carlow Tri. I couldn't believe how out of breath I was and arms getting tired and was so tired at the end it took me 6 mins in transition.
    Today I went to the Swimathy (I decided to do 750m instead of original plan for 1500m). I made sure the swim suit was on and juggled it around for better fit. I was leading my wave (totally amazed at this as my times in the pool are generally not that great) at the turn and then my sighting went to hell and swam all over the place. Next time maybe I'll get my sighting right.
    Don't be discouraged - you'll get more comfortable each time you go out

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bungalow

I did tri athy yesterday and the swim was grand in the end. I did like the first sea swims as I could taste the water but a river is much nicer :) so all good. Considering the one in the liffey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Now I have 2 swims in Ireland under my belt, sprint plus in Lough Cutra and sprint in TriAthy and even the second one was way better than first one so I'd say, just give it a try few times more and you'll get there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I did tri athy yesterday and the swim was grand in the end. I did like the first sea swims as I could taste the water but a river is much nicer :) so all good. Considering the one in the liffey

Tri an Mhi do a nice one in a lake, water is usually nice. Think its on in Sept this yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I must say, despite the taste of salt, I'd much rather swallow sea water than fresh water from a lake or river.

Advertisement