Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish consultants in the UK

Options
  • 17-05-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I am currently an architectural consultant in the UK and have worked here the past two years but still reside in Ireland due to tax purposes so I travel back every couple of weeks.

I was considering buying quite an expensive car as I can bring it back to ireland without the VRT if I own it for 6 months over in the UK. However, I have to own the car in Ireland for 12 after that before I can sell it. It this entirely correct??

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

ucd6 wrote: »
    Hi I am currently an architectural consultant in the UK and have worked here the past two years but still reside in Ireland due to tax purposes so I travel back every couple of weeks.

I was considering buying quite an expensive car as I can bring it back to ireland without the VRT if I own it for 6 months over in the UK. However, I have to own the car in Ireland for 12 after that before I can sell it. It this entirely correct??

Any input would be greatly appreciated
    I am not sure about this because what I have read only deals with VAT implications if you bring a car to Ireland. I haven't seen anything regarding resale of the car once you get here. I did read though the car would have to have more than 6,000 KM in addition to owning it for six months before you can bring it to Ireland without having to pay VAT.

You can always give Revenue a call and I am sure they will help you out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

as you're not resident* in the UK, then VRT will be an issue, VAT won't be if it's over 6months old, and over 6,000 KM, basically you're in the same boat as any Irish person, living and working in Ireland buying in the UK.

note: if you buy in the UK, you can drive the car over there, assuming you have UK insurance. You will not be legally able to drive the car in the Republic, until you pay VRT and possibly VAT.

*You've said you're tax resident here, not UK.

Advertisement