Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quietest stalking setup?

Options
  • 16-05-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Finding my setup a bit loud on the eardrums even with the mod on. Any thoughts on what the quitiest stalking setup is? Caliber, barrel, barrel length, mod, ammo, grain, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

SeeZee wrote: »
    Finding my setup a bit loud on the eardrums even with the mod on. Any thoughts on what the quitiest stalking setup is? Caliber, barrel, barrel length, mod, ammo, grain, etc

What is your current set up?

Might be a starting point to see what you have and why it is too loud for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

im shooting 8 years without a mod.. ya must be shooting some amount lol... only messing im currently seeking a mod... heard the hausken mod is the job and im in the process of getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

Hausken mod so.
    Any thoughts on a quite caliber anyone?

Would anyone have any knowledge/expirence that a 300 win mag has the same report as a 22.250? There most be some caliber a quieter then others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

Personaly id say 6.5x55 or 308 win would be the quietest of the most common deer calibers imo. 243 is same case as 308 only necked down. The 22-250 and 220 swift put out a loud report. A shorter barrel will always be that bit louder. 300winmag and 270win are the loudest calibers I've witnessed. Its not as much the bang that scares the deer its the report on impact that does. With a mod you're going to hear the sonic boom of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. That sound can change depending on air pressure and humidity, where as you may only witness only the sound of the bullet upon impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

SeeZee wrote: »
    Would anyone have any knowledge/expirence that a 300 win mag has the same report as a 22.250? There most be some caliber a quieter then others
    Ive experience with them. The 220 swift is louder than the 22-250 and the winmag is way louder than both and puts out a way bigger pulse. Winmag would be the loudest deer caliber out there in my opinion. Id say the 22-250 puts out 8lbs of recoil vs 300wm which is 28.5lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

There's a good article here on recoil for the different calibres
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A .300 win mag is extremely loud. The fast .22 centrefires are very loud as well, but not in the same league. They're also very sharp and shrill, as far as noises go. Might just be a personal impression, but for what it's worth, I think the slightly slower rounds like say a 6.5x55 or a .308 have a smoother, less obnoxious noise, which makes them sound less aggressive. Speed and short barrels, and smaller bores in particular, seem to contribute to the unpleasantness of the noise. My .25-06 is rougher than a .270 or a .30-06 in the same barrel length. The belted magnums are extremely loud, but it's a massive thump of noise, rather than a sharp one, to my ears. That said, I've been around a 16" .308 and it was horrible on the ears. Would rather a 24" .300 mag any day. All personal impressions, but I reckon in terms of any deer legal rifle, they're all very loud, and hearing protection should be worn at all times if possible. Now if it's going to be moderated, that's a different story obviously, but then it'll be down to the mod relative to the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

Like some of the lads said there I think the 6.5 or the .308 would be your best bet if you wanted to keep the noise as low as possible

Fitzy

Cheers lads

Any thoughts on barrel length? Or does it mater..
    Seriously tho does a longer barrel reduce the muzel blast or is it that it's just farther away from the shooter so it seems quiter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Brother has a 22" barrelled 308 and it is still what I would consider loud (very subjective measurement I know) with a 6 baffle atec maxim on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Longer barrels definitely mitigate against muzzle blast. Part of it is the increased distance from the shooter, but if you compare short and long barrels in high intensity cartridges you'll notice a serious fireball from the short barrels compared to the longer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Longer barrels allow allow a full burn of powder within the barrel. Hence less muzzle blast from same.
    Unless someone is going to get a decibel meter out and conduct pretty exhaustive tests with a wide selection of calibres used in different barrel lengths any suppositions on what is a quiet calibre are just that.
    Broadly speaking you can say a 204 or 223 is relatively quiet compared to a 300Winmag.
    In between those any of the popular calibres shot unmoderated are noisy.

Advertisement