Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for older cars

Options
  • 16-05-2015 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm interested in buying an older car (pre 2000) and came accross the subject of classic car insurance.

The first question I have is 'Do I have to take out classic insurance on a car that's 20 years old or older'? And also, are there any regulations regarding the age of a person taking out classic insurance.

Really, what I'm trying to say is do I have to take ou classic insurance on a car or can I just insure it as "normal"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Depending on which insurance company you are with will depend on the qualifying age of the classic insurance. 20 years seems to be the minimum age. The answer is you dont have to take out classic insurance on a classic car if you dont want to. You usually need another car as a daily driver before you will get classic insurance anyway and usually the minimum age is 25 but it all depends who you go to. Im with AXA and I have four cars on the one policy. Two are on the road and two are 'laid up fire and theft' all for €300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i'm insured with aig classic insurance. car needs to be 15 years old. and it is my only and daily driver but i am limited to 6k miles a year.
    broker was first ireland. was paying 400 on a 93 bmw 740.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I have "ordinary" insurance on my 1992 Mercedes 190 2.0 Diesel which I drive to work on a daily basis. I find that there's a small premium loading that comes with having an older car when compared with some poorer quality, more modern 2.0L diesel affair.

I'm a 38 year old male with full no-claims discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

w124man wrote: »
    Depending on which insurance company you are with will depend on the qualifying age of the classic insurance. 20 years seems to be the minimum age. The answer is you dont have to take out classic insurance on a classic car if you dont want to. You usually need another car as a daily driver before you will get classic insurance anyway and usually the minimum age is 25 but it all depends who you go to. Im with AXA and I have four cars on the one policy. Two are on the road and two are 'laid up fire and theft' all for €300

Four cars on one policy for €300 ??? Jeez what kinda policy is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Carole Nash are doing my insurance for €195 comprehensive ('79 3L petrol) with breakdown assist. An additional car would be just €60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

trouble with Carole Nash is they charge €50 each time you have a change on the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Autoline Campbell insurance Coleraine do roi policys cant be beaten, i have 2 cars agreed value & limited miles for 330 euro fully comp breakdown cover & all glass covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Four cars on one policy for €300 ??? Jeez what kinda policy is that ?

Its a good one with AXA!

Advertisement