Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which GEM Uni to choose...

Options
  • 16-05-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey,
    Unfortunately I have only been to the RCSI opening day and I don't know much about the other places. So I was wondering if you could tell me what your first choice would be and why. Is UCD much better than UCC?
    Do you know the difference between the courses?
    Is UL as bad as some people say ???
    Are gym and things included in the fees?
    Do you need to take the RCSI laptop if you're happy with the one you have?

Sorry a long list and maybe more will come to my mind soon.
    Any answers are kindly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Steph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

and yeah - before you get started on You don't get to choose.
    I'm just trying to figure out my preferences for the CAO so I will be considered accordingly...

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

There's not much difference between the curricula because they all have to conform to standards set out by the IMC. I have heard from a couple of people that the UL course is quite harder than the other ones due to the PBL approach they take. One of them who is currently in GEM in UL described it as paying tons of money to teach yourself. I'm sure it's a bit of an exaggeration and not reflective of the quality of the course though.

I think the biggest consideration for me is hospital attachments. UCD has the Mater, Holles Street and Temple Street which are all only 25 mins from my home.

Thx Anita.
    Guess that makes sense.
    Looking at the hospitals they're working with.
    I just remember the RCSI having actors coming in as patients.
    Whilst UCC seems to have test dummy or similar.
    So those approaches would be interesting to be compared.
    Are you in the GEM already or are you hopefully starting this September?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EM1308

Hey! In relation to the gym and laptop questions you should probably call the colleges! I don't think people say that UL is bad. It teaches primarily through PBL which doesn't suit everybody which may be why you have got that impression. Although UL has the biggest course of all the colleges which is a plus in terms of meeting lots of new people! Also UCD is no better than UCC. If you look at rankings they are on parr with one another. However a consideration to bear in mind would be the cost of living in Dublin versus Cork which is far cheaper. In the past few months rents in Dublin have shot up like crazy. RCSI is another great college (my first preference). You get really early integration into the hospitals and the international reputation of RCSI is arguably better than the other colleges!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

all of the graduate medical schools are on a par really, they follow the Irish Medical Council guidelines/rules&regulations.

UCC, RCSI, UCD are all traditional didactic (lecture) courses so are very similar

UL is PBL based so it is quite difference however the content covered is the same as the other schools. I have friends in all the med schools so i know a good bit about each of them , and i am in UL myself. UL definitely isn't bad haha, but it is the newest medical school and a pbl course so people know less about it, and it is no doubt more challenging than the lecture based ones but has alot of upsides because of PBL also!

I think students are strongly advised to get the RCSI laptop because of software, im not sure if they charge you for it or if its included in fees, UL are also starting to give all incoming students ipads!

• Advertisement

Thanks for your answer :)

Talked to a girl from UCD she recommended UL over RCSI.
    I just don't know.
    Guess, I would like to live in Dublin for a while, so that's why RCSI and UCD sound promising.
    In the end I'm just happy I will get into one of them.

The PBL still leaves me intrigued.
    As I don't know how it works, it may not be what I choose.
    Even though it might be a more suitable style of learning.

Just looking forward to getting started now. Nearly wish CAO would do a random allocation between all 4 of the options.
    I guess they all have a list of pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

RCSI student here, just finished year 1. I can only speak for RCSI, which is intense but quite enjoyable. I'd imagine the standard is more or less the same for other colleges.
    Just to add that nearness to college is an advantage. So less time spent on traffic means time for other things including studying and sleeping.
    The laptop given out in RCSI is included in the fees. You can take it but not necessarily use it if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

CAO change of mind closes today at 5:15pm.

Anybody still not sure what to put first? Ive had RCSI number 1 all along but doubting it now. The early starts and getting to Sandyford/UCD in 1st year are going to be a pain for me in either college. Second year in Blanch is much handier for me. But then the 3rd/4th yr placements in UCD tend to be mostly Dublin based, whereas RCSI could be Drogheda or Waterford. I have a kid so doing those would be very difficult.

Should I stick with my gut?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EM1308

I think in RCSI it's possible to do most of your placement in Connolly hospital. I also know a graduate from the RCSI GEM programme who said it was easy to remain in Connolly for her intern year also. If I were you I'd stick with my gut (I'm going for RCSI also).

loopylulu wrote: »
    CAO change of mind closes today at 5:15pm.

Anybody still not sure what to put first? Ive had RCSI number 1 all along but doubting it now. The early starts and getting to Sandyford/UCD in 1st year are going to be a pain for me in either college. Second year in Blanch is much handier for me. But then the 3rd/4th yr placements in UCD tend to be mostly Dublin based, whereas RCSI could be Drogheda or Waterford. I have a kid so doing those would be very difficult.

Should I stick with my gut?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

Thanks for your reply! I did ask at the RCSI open day about how placements are organised for those with children but wasn't reassured by the answer I got. Tick tock I'm itching to find out in a few weeks!

• Advertisement

Doing the gut thing, too...

Advertisement