Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood's End [SyFy]

Options
  • 15-05-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭

3-part adaptation of the Arthur C. Clarke novel is coming to the SyFy Channel in December (US date):

It starts with a scene that was shamelessly borrowed by Douglas Adams and many others (e.g. V, Independence Day): huge alien spaceships hanging in the sky like bricks don't. They're carrying a crew of aliens who have decided that mankind can't look after itself any more, and they're going to fix the Earth and all its inhabitants. That simple, eh? :eek:

The local head of the Overlords, Karellen, is played by Charles Dance:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Syfy have given the 6 part event series a december 14th premier date

http://tvline.com/2015/08/12/syfy-childhoods-end-premiere-date-the-expanse/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭squonk

Charles Dance... Tywin Lannister in space! Count me in! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oooh, hopefully they don't make a balls of this! One of the finest Sci-Fi novels ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not long to go, and we have a new short feature with the actors talking about what's coming to Earth next month. :D

I see everyone's favourite SciFi Irishman has a part in the show too. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

They're here ...

... well, in the USA at least. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's getting pretty decent reviews. I'll definitely watch the first one.

If anyone's wondering what the big deal is about Arthur C Clarke, have a read of this article by fellow SF author David Brin.
    Clarke has long and deservedly been called one of the finest “hard” science fiction authors, for good reason. From the beginning of his career as a writer, he explored frontiers of human knowledge, pondering the implications of everything from cetacean intelligence to planetology. From the logic of John Von Neumann’s universal self-replicator to the possible motives of beings far in advance of ourselves.

And yet, what most intrigues me about Arthur’s work is something else – his ongoing fascination with human destiny – a term seemingly at odds with the scientific worldview.
    (Brin has had the experience of seeing his work on the screen: his book The Postman was made in to a poorly-reviewed movie by Kevin Costner.)

Watched the first installment last night. Not bad overall but I found it a bit rushed in places. It moved along fairly quickly but seemed to take some jumps along the way. Because of that the story felt a little jilted but there's also a lot to tell by the looks of it so you can forgive them. Charles Dance is excellent, even as a voiceover! I'm looking foward to part 2 later!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Just watched Episode 2 - really looking forward to the Finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Any date for Ireland/UK yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Enjoyed the 1st Ep, Dance is just a great (voice) actor, would watch (listen) to him read out bingo numbers tbh! Ep 2 seemed to drag at the start and found it a little muddled but came good in the end. Looking forward to watching ep 3 tonight.

Agreed! I much preferred Ep 1 of the 2 so far. things didn't really take off much in the beginning. They're still jimping from one place to another at times with the story but it definitely came good in the end. Charles Dance really stands out in this.

Anyone else really surprised that the religious freak was allowed just wander away after shooting Karellen? I actually think this show might have made for a good 10 episode mini series. I think there's enough there to have made something very interesting with a limited run.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Watched all 3 episodes and I have to say it left me feeling sad, but a very enjoyable series.

Just finished it now myself. The third instalment had to be the best of the lot. Very profound. I had goosebumps at times. Was nearly in tears at the end. Such an excellent series. I think it's really an example of just how good Sci Fi can be when compared to other genres. You don't get too much high quality material that often now but this really was great. One ill rewatch again I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Binge watched this yesterday.
    Very interesting the stuff that is blended together here. It definitely goes beyond the more conventional SciFi domain of stuff like Independence Day, V, or War of the Worlds.
    Made me want to go and read Arthur C. Clarke's book for comparison.
    There are quite a few signs in the first episode pointing to the nature of that episode's closing scene, but whatever your suspicions, it will probably still plant your jaw on your lap when you see it!
    The actors are excellent, especially Charles Dance, and a good few familiar faces from other shows and movies of recent years.

I actually forgot to watch Childhood's End because I had a lot going on, so it's a good thing it's starting on Sky 1 soon: Thursday 17 March @ 9PM, and is repeated at 1am the next morning. (I've read the book, so spoilers are not a problem.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

bnt wrote: »
    I actually forgot to watch Childhood's End because I had a lot going on, so it's a good thing it's starting on Sky 1 soon: Thursday 17 March @ 9PM, and is repeated at 1am the next morning. (I've read the book, so spoilers are not a problem.)

I have watched it and I get the feeling that the book was way better

Advertisement