Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used web-bier.de (or similar) for delivery to Ireland?

Options
  • 15-05-2015 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭

Getting tired of paying €3 plus for German beers in my local off licences, searched for alternatives.

Looking at this site to order a few cases from Germany - prices very reasonable, reviews on www.beerdvocate.com also positive.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/online-german-bier-shop.107456/- there's also another few suggestions of other similar services on that link.

Works out about €45 delivered for a 24 x 50cl case. Some cheaper depending on bottle price. Delivery via UPS in a couple of days.

Any experience / feedback from users on this website or similar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Use them all the time, great service, speedy delivery, never had an issue with revenue.

Few bottles broken in transit by the courier last time, web voucher issued by seller to replace deficit.

Go for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Music to my ears, thanks. Revenue should have no issue - it's originating in the EU though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Music to my ears, thanks. Revenue should have no issue - it's originating in the EU though?

Not correct.
    The beer is liable for Irish duty and VAT. You could be billed for the appropriate amount or the goods could be seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Greg81

OP you can also try http://www.gourmondo.de/g/category/NN122000/Bier.jsf used them many times. No problems at all.

Similar to web-bier.de

Not correct.
    The beer is liable for Irish duty and VAT. You could be billed for the appropriate amount or the goods could be seized.

Fair point. I've ordered the odd bottle from flaviar.com and never thought of this.

I had a mooch around the revenue website - they conveniently give a few examples of importing alcohol, the example they use is for 168 crates of 33cl bottles at 4.2ABV. Works out at €7.55 excise per tray with this example.

Based on a case price of €24 at web-bier, I've calculated the following (note - I have zero expertise in VAT /excise!)

I used this as a guide: http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/excise/alsohol-products-tax/alcohol-products-tax-and-reliefs-manual.pdf

Excise (based on 0.50 Hectolitres of alcohol per tray) = around €11.50

VAT works out about €5.50

So our case price is up to just over €60 (tray cost €24 + €11.50 excise + €5.50 VAT + €20 delivery). Still working out at about €2.50 odd per 50 cl bottle, which would make it worth while. There's cheaper bottles to be had as well, so assuming you're paying excise and VAT your cost per bottle would be significantly less.

• Advertisement

Duty is calculated on the alcohol content, not the price of the beer.
    Vat is added on to the total cost, including duty and delivery.

There is also the possibility of the goods being seized as they are being imported illegally.

Duty is calculated on the alcohol content, not the price of the beer.
    Vat is added on to the total cost, including duty and delivery.

There is also the possibility of the goods being seized as they are being imported illegally.

Ok so I've worked out the duty along the revenue guidelines. €22.50 per hectolitres.

Vat will obviously be a lot higher then. So our case is probably heading up towards €70. Still less than €3 per bottle.

In terms of being illegal though - is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    In terms of being illegal though - is it?
    Not if the company sending the beer has sorted everything out with Irish Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why would the sender need to sort out something with revenue?

RasTa wrote: »

I think that's just how it works unless you have a licence to import alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    When you buy anything from a shop, the shop has to pay the VAT to Revenue. This situation is no different.

Advertisement