Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I become an Irish Citizen?

Options
  • 15-05-2015 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am a 40yr old Englishman who has been living here for 13 years, I am married with 3 children under 10. I'll be honest I have not particular thought about this much in the past, however the fact that I cannot vote in the upcoming referendum as I am not a citizen has led me to start considering it. Is it reason enough to become a citizen just so that I can have a vote?, I am proud of being English but I wouldn't say that I was particularly patriotic. I see myself living in Ireland for the rest of my life. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I think that is really up to you. Assuming it passes, this referendum is kinda a once in a lifetime thing. Then again there might be other issues (like abortion) that you feel strongly about. If you want a say in the most fundamental ways the country is run becoming is citizen is probably a good idea.

Do you vote in elections you currently can (like for parliament).
    There have been about a dozen referendums since you moved to Ireland. Did not being able to vote in other ones bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I would always vote in Dail, European or Local elections, I suppose I just didn't feel as strongly about the other referendums before to consider citizenship, I just feel now as I have been a resident for so long that I deserve to have a say in such matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

If you plan to live here for the rest of your lives than I think you should become a citizen because all referenda will impact you, your children, grandchildren in some way. Most will probably have little impact but some may be quite a lot. I see nationality as a coincidence. We just happened to be born in one country rather than another to a different parent but that's a conversation for another time.

I do think that length of time being a permanent resident should count for something when a referendum comes up but it's not the case right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You can hold both citizenships without any issue.

If you're planning on living here indefinitely, you might as well become an Irish citizen too, even if it's only so you can vote in referenda and presidential elections.

Also, the Irish passport is sometimes a little less controversial if you ever happen to be travelling somewhere where the UK's not the flavour of the month...

It does have its advantages when travelling in the Middle East and certain other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Will also be handy if/when the UK leaves the EU...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Will also be handy if/when the UK leaves the EU...

Would not be either handy or necessary - There are no plans for the common travel area to change in such a scenario.

Long Gone wrote: »
    Would not be either handy or necessary - There are no plans for the common travel area to change in such a scenario.

It's quite possible that UK citizens will lose the rights they currently have to live/work in EU countries.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There's no idea of how it might pan out to be honest.

You might keep your Irish access but lose rights to live and work on the continent without permits.

Irish passports could be very useful then.

If the UK leaves and restricts access of EU citizens the EU will reciprocate. There's a big question mark over what might happen to the couple of million UK nationals permanently resident in other EU countries. UKIP hasn't really considered what might happen for example if cash strapped Spain's citizens got told they couldn't live and work in Britain - I could see them deciding to means test UK pensioners or removing access to Spanish welfare & health etc ...

Brexit could get very, very messy!

No harm in having spare EU passport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm 50 in June have 2 kids (both Irish Nationality) wife who has dual nationality (UK/Irish) and will be living in Ireland 24years in July and I've often thought of pledging my allegiance and becoming an Irish citizen (mainly for because I want to be able to vote in referendums. I can vote in general and local elections) but also for getting an Irish Passport, because its messy getting a UK passport (and more expensive) when you reside in Ireland - I plan on residing in Ireland for the rest of my life so i also think its unfair that you cannot automatically become an Irish Citizen if you want to (or dual nationality) but last time I checked on a website im pretty sure it said if you want to become an Irish Citizen and are from UK that you had to pay something like 950euro (eeek!) - but that non european immigrants can become Irish citizens for free! (that don't seem fair) if I have it right.

[edit] Yep this is where I see the application fees:
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship%20fees
    €175eur for application fee - €950eur Certification Fee - no fee if your a Refugee!

That fee is way too high. They shouldn't be putting up barriers to long term residents who want to be citizens becoming Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to be honest, that fee is way too high.

It can be justified for someone with say an african or asian passport which really limits where they can travel without needing a visa, which costs time and money.
    For them it might even pay for itsself in time.

But if your only benefit is being able to vote in a referendum or for a president who has no power, then €1000+ is probably too much of a fee for that small benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Unfortunately it sounds like it's just another revenue generating scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Citizen and are from UK that you had to pay something like 950euro (eeek!) - but that non european immigrants can become Irish citizens for free! (that don't seem fair) if I have it right.

[edit] Yep this is where I see the application fees:
    http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship%20fees
    €175eur for application fee - €950eur Certification Fee - no fee if your a Refugee!

From your link: "The certification fee is nil, if the certificate is being granted in respect of a recognised refugee/stateless person"

That's hardly the same as your "
    non european immigrants"

P.S. I agree it's a lot--too much in fact--but then again I'm just after paying almost two grand (Sterling) for a 2.75-year visa to the UK for my non-European wife. By the time she gets a passport, I'll probably be out about five grand (assuming they don't increase the prices EVEN MORE).

no fee if your a Refugee!
    Too right. If anyone wants their fee waiver, take their stress and personal circumstances too.

I escaped thatcher the hatcher poll tax in the 90's and came to Ireland ... it was a hardship at the time and was a miserable country run by a penny grabbing tyrant, therefore cant i be classed as a refugee and get free Irish citizenship lol :D

it was a hardship at the time and was a miserable country run by a penny grabbing tyrant

You should've stayed in England then :p

You should've stayed in England then :p

no, Ireland looked much more viable at the time - lovely place to have children and bring them up in :)

in any case I wouldnt have been able to afford to have kids in England lol

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am a 40yr old Englishman who has been living here for 13 years, I am married with 3 children under 10. I'll be honest I have not particular thought about this much in the past, however the fact that I cannot vote in the upcoming referendum as I am not a citizen has led me to start considering it. Is it reason enough to become a citizen just so that I can have a vote?, I am proud of being English but I wouldn't say that I was particularly patriotic. I see myself living in Ireland for the rest of my life. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

I'm pretty much in the same boat - been in Ireland 20 years, married to Irishwoman with Irish kids, no plans to leave, own business here etc etc

I vote already in all elections ( yes I know I should in referendums but they keep sending me a polling card) so don't need passport for that reason.

However Ireland feels more like home than the UK and care greatly about this country and people, to the point I'd fight for it if needs be ( I know that'll never happen!)

But and its a big but, I couldn't support Ireland over England in sport.

That's what I can't get my head around.
    How do I reconcile that?

with me i cant get into Irish Politics the way I am into UK politics. Im always following UK politics on SkyNews and love watching the PM's questions on wednesdays ... but tried to get into watching the Irish Dail programmes and cannot get into them - I know I should be more aware of Irish politics than UK politics seeing as I have been resident in Ireland for so long and have no intentions of returning to the UK but no matter how I try I still find following UK politics more interesting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

However Ireland feels more like home than the UK and care greatly about this country and people, to the point I'd fight for it if needs be ( I know that'll never happen!)

It was when I reached that frame of mind I took out Swiss citizenship.

• Advertisement
Advertisement