Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Phone Issue - Ads Randomly Popping Up

Options
  • 14-05-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I have a HTC One Mini 2. Recently I have been having a problem that random ads just pop up while on my home screen or in apps. It's usually the play store that opens with a random app being advertised or else the browser open with a random ad which has recently been something about your device needs a software upgrade or something like that. I have scanned my device for a virus with AVG anti-virus (free version) and have used a anti-malware app called Malwarebytes to check for malware and both scans came up with nothing but the ads still pop up. I want to try and avoid resetting my device as I will have to re-install things a set-up others things again. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has the same. I went into settings and looked at the running apps and uninstalled apps I didn't recognize. I can't remember which one was the culprit

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

Has the same. I went into settings and looked at the running apps and uninstalled apps I didn't recognize. I can't remember which one was the culprit

Tried that but I recognise all the running apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Could it be an open tab in your browser? Occasionally I'll come across a dodgy page that just instantly forwards me to the play store or a phishing page.

Your other option is to uninstall all the apps you have, and see if the problem disappears. Then you can install them back one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

SW98 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a HTC One Mini 2. Recently I have been having a problem that random ads just pop up while on my home screen or in apps. It's usually the play store that opens with a random app being advertised or else the browser open with a random ad which has recently been something about your device needs a software upgrade or something like that. I have scanned my device for a virus with AVG anti-virus (free version) and have used a anti-malware app called Malwarebytes to check for malware and both scans came up with nothing but the ads still pop up. I want to try and avoid resetting my device as I will have to re-install things a set-up others things again. Thanks for any replies.

The AVG pro version is available free on Amazon app store at the moment. You'll need to delete the free version before it'll install.

Could it be an open tab in your browser? Occasionally I'll come across a dodgy page that just instantly forwards me to the play store or a phishing page.

Your other option is to uninstall all the apps you have, and see if the problem disappears. Then you can install them back one at a time.

No theres no open tab in my browser. Might have to re-install apps at some stage.

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    The AVG pro version is available free on Amazon app store at the moment. You'll need to delete the free version before it'll install.

Got it thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I had that problem also. I uninstalled the previous couple of apps I had installed but it was still happening. I uninstalled some of the games that were on it a while but I no longer played. That seemed to solve it. Haven't had an ad in about 2 weeks. My bet is one of those had been updated to run in the background and every so often put up ads. It's a warning that old apps might still be running in the background and god only knows what they are doing.

Advertisement