Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Morning Dublin Traffic

Options
  • 14-05-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi just wondering what the traffic is like round Dublin at 7am weekday mornings..Would be coming from the northside in off the M1 Heading towards UCD..Any help appreciated..

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Near non-existent, assuming you're going to arrive before 7. However, 7 coming off the M50 will become rather a lot later by UCD and it'll have got a lot busier.

Worst period is about 8-8:45 but this can vary in different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it would be helpful if you could state exactly where you will be at 7 a.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you're hitting the M50 coming the M1 at 7am you'll breeze on through. I work 8am shifts but the odd time I get a 7am start. When I get the earlier shift, the congestion difference is day and night. As stated, the roads are very very quiet at 7.

I used to commute from Athlone to Clonshaugh arriving at 07:00, to avoid the M50 tolls I went via the city and the journey time from the N4 junction to where the M1 starts was usually 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Hi Folks,
    Looking for advice for what time I would need to be getting into the city to avoid congestion on the way to Trinity College. I am travelling from Sligo. Had planned on leaving Sligo at 5am. That should see me arriving at N4 / M50 junction about 7.30 - 7.45. Does that leave enough time to get into the city in by the 4 courts and across O'Connell bridge to park at fleet St? Maybe there is an alternative (park and ride and take luas?). Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You may be faster parking in the red Cow P&R and taking the luas in, there are some complecated diversions in place due to the luas BXD works.

Alternatively if you take the 05:45 train from Sligo, you'll be at Conolly by 08:50. I don't know how early you have to be in.

cgcsb wrote: »
    You may be faster parking in the red Cow P&R and taking the luas in, there are some complecated diversions in place due to the luas BXD works.

Alternatively if you take the 05:45 train from Sligo, you'll be at Conolly by 08:50. I don't know how early you have to be in.
    Thanks for your help. Both probably better options!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »

Why would someone coming from Sligo use Red Cow?

Surely it would be easier to use one of the railway stations at Maynooth or Leixlip?

Maynooth line timetable is here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/14_m3_parkway_maynooth_longford.pdf

lxflyer wrote: »

Surely it would be easier to use one of the railway stations at Maynooth or Leixlip?

Cheers lx, never thought of that. The 7.30 from maynooth would fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lots more trams than trains?

• Advertisement

Lots more trams than trains?

With unnecessary extra driving along the busiest sections of the N4 and M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

With unnecessary extra driving along the busiest sections of the N4 and M50.

some people find sitting in a slow car infinitely better than standing on a freezing rain platform

There's little congestion on the M50S at the time suggested, now its summer.

some people find sitting in a slow car infinitely better than standing on a freezing rain platform

There's little congestion on the M50S at the time suggested, now its summer.

Freezing??? In May or June???

He does also have to return later in the day when the roads in question will be busier too.

It would be far easier to use the railway stations.

Advertisement