Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree identification

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those images aren't loading for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FuzzyFrog

I'd say they are just taking a second to load on your connection, I've checked the URLs again and they render.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

FuzzyFrog wrote: »
    I've no idea what type of tree the following is, could someone put me out of my misery please :)

http://img42.com/xUVKg
    http://img42.com/aS3rZ
    http://img42.com/sLYOn

Dodgy images alright...

Think it's a lilac though.....of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I think lk67 is right - lilac of some kind - has it never flowered?

:) Someone else said Lilac tree to me when they visited the house but I didn't consider it as I've never seen it flower purple (or any flowering at all) in the last year and a half. It just seems to grow green leaves and that's it

• Advertisement

FuzzyFrog wrote: »
    :) Someone else said Lilac tree to me when they visited the house but I didn't consider it as I've never seen it flower purple (or any flowering at all) in the last year and a half. It just seems to grow green leaves and that's it

They can be a little slow to start flowering. Hopefully next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Leaves look healthy enough. Lilacs will grow well in most spots but are finicky about flowering.
    Is it in a shady spot? Lilacs like full sun.
    Also, have you any idea whether or not your soil is very acidic? That camellia in the background looks very green and healthy. Lilacs prefer soil that is just slightly acidic and poor in nitrogen. By any chance is it - or the grass around it - being given a nitrogen rich feed?

The grass was only just rolled so it hasn't been getting any nitrogen feed but it is in a bit of a shady area so that could be it alright. I'll just have to wait and see for another year and maybe consider moving it if nothing happens then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thought it was a lilac but somehow the leaves are not quite right. The stem and growth pattern is about right though. Lilac leaves are less fleshy than those appear to be, and are pointed. It looks a bit like a griselinia, though you don't usually see them growing singly like that, and griselinia leaves are a brighter green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

I don't think it's lilac. Picture 2 has a rounded tip on the leaf. Mine is pointed. Pic 3 didn't open for me.

• Advertisement

I'm sticking to my guns! :)

It's a common lilac variety. Leaves can vary a little depending on type and conditions. Most of the leaves are lilac like, as is the growth and bark.

I am prepared to be swayed by any other suggestions... maybe...

Advertisement