Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Restrictors:

Options
  • 14-05-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I bought window restrictors from an Irish security company based just outside Dublin. I bought them through PayPal. When they arrived I opened them to discover no instructions whatsoever. I had emailed the seller a few days earlier enquiring if fitting screws came with the products , he told me that they did.
    This morning prior to fitting them the plastic covers were stuck on to the fitting bracket (which seller had warned me about) necessitating forcible removal of the plastic cover (damage to the cover as a result) to allow the restrictor to be fitted. I should have been wary at that.
    However I continued on , and the seller also informed me on the phone to ensure that I kept the restrictor away from the side of the window to ensure the plastic cover would fit on flush.
    The screws that came with the product were countersunk head unusual design , I was satisfied that as these were designed for PVC windows and that there would be no problem. As I slowly tightened the screw to secure the restrictor the glass broke on my window due to the pressure put upon the frame to secure the restrictor.
    I emailed the seller a photo of the damage. I informed him I was unhappy at this damage. I am of the view that the fitting screws were completely unsuited for the job and consequently caused the damage. I enquired why there were no instructions or advice as in normally the case no matter what you buy and I was told that would eat into his profit so he does not provide any guidance.
    I believe that he is responsible for repair to my window. Appreciate any other views.
    Other issues: Is there any regulations as regards selling this type of window product. The is no "Irish safety standard" markings on the product. There was a delay in my getting the restrictors after I paid for them as seller had to wait for them to be shipped to the country.
    Since this happened I have started to research a bit about these products.
    I am taken aback to discover that people have been fatally injured with this type of product in use. I see there may be fire safety issues also , in relation to the placement of these items on certain floors /windows of buildings.
    I fitted two of the three I bought no problem. The bathroom window was the one that suffered the damage.

Sellers Argument: It is not my fault if you are incapable of fitting these items. He made light of my concerns , almost comical I would say , adding the following comment: If I went into a lino shop and purchased an amount of Lino , if I then cut it incorrectly at home , if I went back to the shop to complain , do you think that they would replace the Lino? (my answer to this conundrum would be NO!)
    I could not see what reference that had to the issue at hand. The matter is left at that now.

It is my view that these items should be of merchantable quality as per sale and supply of goods act:

Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

Any views , positive/ negative . Appreciated - Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

I've been in situations like this before, the really nasty bit is Paypal will almost certainly side with the seller on this unless you have an airtight case and that's only for a refund of the product, I'm not really sure how you'll go about the window repair..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I'm not sure either I mean the lack of guidelines or instructions is ridiculous.
    I mean these things can stop someone getting out of a house fire. There should be some state guidelines or regulations warning of the dangers of these things. I wonder do security companies have to be registered to sell security products.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

I'm not sure either I mean the lack of guidelines or instructions is ridiculous.
    I mean these things can stop someone getting out of a house fire. There should be some state guidelines or regulations warning of the dangers of these things. I wonder do security companies have to be registered to sell security products.

Does he actually have a website or what's the story? For a company actually based in Ireland this does sound really dodgy..

yes he does. It is a company based in Dublin. I don't wish to name it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I presume the window restrictors are screwed into the pvc frame and that you drilled a hole to the right size beforehand?

as for "safety" standards - it sort of sounds like your are searching for a fault with the supplier. If you seasrch the internet you will ALWAYS find the answer you want to find right or wrong.

I would assume there is a key or other unlocking mechanism for these in the same way as a window lock would have, so I really can't see how any specific safety issue arises - many hotles have restrictors on their windows.

The lack of installation instruction would be the only area that could be argued, but their argument would be that instructions were provided verbally.

• Advertisement

Yes I drilled the pilot hole , yes I carefully drilled the SCREW PROVIDED. This screw caused the damage window cracked.
    I believe that somewhere in the consumer regulations , products should come with instructions , in particular when the
    product can be the cause of danger ....yes I am searching for a fault with the supplier. I am annoyed with the bull he gave me when I rang him about it.

when I say danger I mean if someone without thinking put them on all upstairs windows and there was a fire ........
    I mean its common sense that these things be pointed out in writing

MODS PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST AS THE PERSON WHO SUPPLIED THIS PRODUCT IS WATCHING THE POSTS AND INFORMING ME WHICH IS A BIT SPOOKY!! PLEASE REMOVE.
    PADDY

EMAIL TO KOOLKID MOD 14/5/2015 19.43

.yes I am searching for a fault with the supplier. I am annoyed with the bull he gave me when I rang him about it.

when I say danger I mean if someone without thinking put them on all upstairs windows and there was a fire ........
    I mean its common sense that these things be pointed out in writing

as you said "common sense" - there's a hint in the word "common". I have window locks on all my windows, but common sense means there's a key beside them all too..

You admit you were searching to find fault with the supplier - this suggests you have approached it in a totally wrong way and usually its very difficult to come back from that.

If I lok hard enough eating toast will give me cancer and I will die, microwaving milk will cause me radiation poisining and worse of all, there are "doctors" who will claim looking at a computer screen will turn you blind! and remember, mobile phones will kill you too!

Its called catastrophe syndrome - when common sense goes out the window.

How you should have approached it was to ask for instructions to be emailed to you, or checked online for hints. If unsure have a good diy peron do it.

Or if you were not happy to proceed with installation, return the product.

delahuntv wrote: »
    as you said "common sense" - there's a hint in the word "common". I have window locks on all my windows, but common sense means there's a key beside them all too..

You admit you were searching to find fault with the supplier - this suggests you have approached it in a totally wrong way and usually its very difficult to come back from that.

If I lok hard enough eating toast will give me cancer and I will die, microwaving milk will cause me radiation poisining and worse of all, there are "doctors" who will claim looking at a computer screen will turn you blind! and remember, mobile phones will kill you too!

Its called catastrophe syndrome - when common sense goes out the window.

How you should have approached it was to ask for instructions to be emailed to you, or checked online for hints. If unsure have a good diy peron do it.

Or if you were not happy to proceed with installation, return the product.

Indeed a most sensible common sense realistic moralistic correct opinion with beautifully thought out interjections which resonate smoothly throughout .. Tremendous and it has inspired me to agree totally and with that the matter rests.

Thks no need for further comment as this reply is more than I could ever have hoped for.
    Paddy

I see the exact same restrictors for 11,25 (50% cheaper) on amazon should have cut out the middle man and even with the damage I could have got free window replacement - !! Tip if anyone looking for them ... Just ordered 4 more on amazon

Indeed a most sensible common sense realistic moralistic correct opinion with beautifully thought out interjections which resonate smoothly throughout .. Tremendous and it has inspired me to agree totally and with that the matter rests.

Thks no need for further comment as this reply is more than I could ever have hoped for.
    Paddy

I see the exact same restrictors for 11,25 (50% cheaper) on amazon should have cut out the middle man and even with the damage I could have got free window replacement - !! Tip if anyone looking for them ... Just ordered 4 more on amazon

I think we know your attitude (this post shows it very well) and hence why the supplier responded to you in such a way.

Hard to feel any pity for your issue.

• Advertisement

delahuntv wrote: »
    I think we know your attitude (this post shows it very well) and hence why the supplier responded to you in such a way.

Hard to feel any pity for your issue.

I don't want your pity it was my view fittings caused damage . I don't want to know about licking toast or microwaves or silly nothing to do with anything rambles. That's all I wanted a view on ... Your opinions are yours mine are different each entitled to their own.
    As I said already the matter us closed as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@delahuntv - attack the psst not the poster. Please stay civil and respectful to other posters.

dudara

Advertisement