Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC.. I don't even..

Options
  • 14-05-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

So live chat got me nowhere. A months worth of phone calls and two technician visits has gotten me nowhere. I signed up just over a month ago for 240Mb, and for half of that I got 60, I'm now getting between 100-140. Yet they're still trying to charge me the full whack for the service I'm not receiving. I've also just had a support representative close a live chat on me. Am I going mad here or am I right?

This is the chat log from what I've just had a while ago.

info: at 11:04:06

Welcome to UPC Live Chat Service. A representative will be with you shortly.

info: at 11:06:06

We are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times and we thank you for your patience. We would still like to chat with you so if you keep this window open we will start as soon as we are available. In the meantime, did you know that we have a new My UPC app? Download from the Appstore or the Google Play Store today.

info: at 11:07:06

You are now connected with <JaneDoe>

<JaneDoe>: at 11:07:12

Hello and welcome to UPC Chat, I'm <JaneDoe>. Can I get your UPC account number please?
    <Marcface>: at 11:07:23

Hello <JaneDoe>, you can indeed. <SNIP>

<JaneDoe>: at 11:08:00

Thanks. How can I help today?
    <Marcface>: at 11:11:43

I've been with UPC a month or so now and in that time I've not received the service that I signed up to. I have had a large number of phone calls with support as well as two visits from two technicians. The last visit was left with the broadband speed somewhat improved, yet still half what I should be getting and I was told by the technician he believed "there is a fault on the street that we'll need to look into". I've heard nothing since. I contacted UPC and asked that my bills reflect the actual service I'm receiving (about 100MB/s - 140MB/s, which fluctuates, and is nowhere near 250MB/s). Not only did I hear nothing back about this, I've now been charged a late payment fee. I made it clear that I have not received the service as agreed and therefore the charge should reflect this until the service is functioning as it is meant to. Where do I go from here? My service has now been suspended, which has annoyed me even more, and all in all this has been an awful experience.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:12:47

I am sorry to hear this, I will certainly check this for you now, I will just be 2-3 minutes. Is that ok?
    <Marcface>: at 11:13:36

That's no problem <JaneDoe> thank you. My last 2 live chats appear to have experienced disconnections FYI but I believe I've sorted it by switching browser

<JaneDoe>: at 11:16:11

I check this for you. I see that late note from the technician advised there is no levels issue, but is willing to replace a cable but the appointment was cancelled. I can certainly credit you the €12.50 late payment fee as a goodwill gesture
    <Marcface>: at 11:17:50

That last note is incorrect. The last technician that was at my house found an eroded cable under the stairs and replaced that with new cabling, he then tested the router and said the power levels are still insufficient. I think you may have the note from the first technician there, and no appointments were cancelled. I am most definitely not receiving the correct service.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:18:25

Once the balance of €74.31 is paid you can contact us to book in the appointment for you.
    <Marcface>: at 11:20:16

The overdue balance is 45euro, and as I've mentioned, I am not receiving 250MB broadband. I am receiving just over 100. This has gone on for a month now and each time I've had to argue someone down into actually taking action, and only at this point does that person realise there is actually a problem, then I get someone new and am back to square one explaining myself. I am a technician, I know 100% that the service is not working correctly. I really want to know why nobody is taking me seriously.
    <Marcface>: at 11:21:41

Currently, UPC are in breach of the contract that I have signed up with. If the lack of support continues I will have to take my business elsewhere unfortunately, I would hope it would not come to this.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:25:32

Once you pay the over due balance which is now €28.43 & with the new bill that generate the total is €74.31 ( as I applied the credit of €12.50. Once the bill is paid we can reschedule in the appointment for you. Once the service call is complete we can do a full review of your account for the credit.
    <Marcface>: at 11:30:03

Sorry, why does this have to be done beforehand? I first called UPC the same week I signed up. My issue has not been resolved, and is now put on hold as I have not paid for the service I have not received. How on earth can one single customers' issue go on for a month without resolution. I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that for 3 weeks I received the same speed as your 60Mb limited package and for the last 2 weeks I've received the same speed as your 120Mb package. I will not be charged for the 250Mb package which I have not received. I don't know how I can make that clearer or how UPC expect to be paid for a service they have not provided.
    <Marcface>: at 11:30:51

I have not received the agreed service, full stop.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:32:20

We need to wait for the service call to complete to ensure that there is credit to be applied & also just incase the service call keeps getting cancelled. We need to be sure the issue is resolved before we can apply the credit.
    <Marcface>: at 11:33:23

<JaneDoe>, I have -NOT- cancelled any service call. The last service call was carried out, the guy seemed to be a senior chap he had no uniform. He came twice in the one day as he had a meeting halfway through. There have been NO calls arranged since, never mind cancelled.
    <Marcface>: at 11:34:02

So there is some lack of communication between UPC and the third party used for carrying out on-site services.
    <Marcface>: at 11:34:45

In fact this particular guy didn't stop bad mouthing the previous technician saying his work was shocking (such as installing a cable splitter, for a single device). I can try to look for his name if you wish.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:35:32

I see on the 15th of April there was a service call booked in to replace a cable, Driver noted no reply at 2.20 card left.
    <Marcface>: at 11:36:14

Right, and as I said when I called up after that, the driver never arrived, my fiancee was there the ENTIRE day, the technician never called either. And there was a service call AFTER that point. That was not the last service call.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:36:33

On the 18th of April the Technician noted Drop cable replaced levels now correct.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:36:55

This is the last update on you account
    <Marcface>: at 11:38:04

And that same technician, while standing in my house, told us that the service was still not right and there may be an issue on the street (and he would be out the following Monday to check the connections out there). And regardless of ALL of this, I am still NOT receiving 250Mb broadband.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:38:52

Since you have followed up with is today. I can book you in the service call, once you make a payment.
    <Marcface>: at 11:40:09

Service call for what?! There is no issue in my house! The technician made that clear, after replacing the eroded cable. The issue is with YOUR infrastructure according to him. I have NOT received 250Mb broadband and I want that reflected on my bill. UPC cannot charge me for a service not supplied. I don't understand why this is getting so complicated.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:41:08

I can only credit you from the 9th of April to the 18th of April. For the service issue we have logged on your account.
    <Marcface>: at 11:42:06

I -am not- receiving 250Mb broadband. This been tested and confirmed on no less than TEN DEVICES.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:42:28

What speed to you receive an a direct connection? also what speed do you receive on wifi?
    <Marcface>: at 11:42:39

<Marcface>: at 11:42:47

Between 100-140Mb on direct
    <Marcface>: at 11:43:00

As stated, I'm a technician, I know all about WiFi affecting speeds
    <Marcface>: at 11:43:11

We've been over this, countless times, with countless people from UPC

<JaneDoe>: at 11:52:20

I am just on the phone now to the engineers.
    <Marcface>: at 11:52:45

No worries, take your time.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:54:01

Do you have the name of the engineer that told you it was an issue outside on the street? as the last note from the engineer that we have is that the cable was replaced & no issues here?
    <Marcface>: at 11:55:29

I can't get through to my fiancee, she would have known the name. He seemed to be a senior chap that's all I know, he had no uniform whereas the first technician did and he mentioned he trains technicians. I don't know more than that offhand and I'm in work, Leixlip.
    <Marcface>: at 11:57:03

I'm not surprised by the technicians comments to be honest, it took me 2 weeks to convince UPC I was getting 60Mb/s, eventually it was proven. Then the first technician claimed he got 210Mb, the second technician said that was physically impossible and that the first was bullsh***ing

<JaneDoe>: at 11:57:40

I check this for you they confirmed all checks have been carried out & there is no issue with the UPC connection, All levels are fine & technician got perfect speeds when he called out.
    <Marcface>: at 11:58:58

The technician is lying, as he was standing in the house and performed the test and got -at best- a spike of 180-190, which is not the current speed. I really do not care what the technicians are saying or thinking, I am getting less than 150Mb/s, that is a fact. It is nothing to do with my hardware, my PC, my laptops, or the router. This is all, fact.

<JaneDoe>: at 11:59:25

The engineer confirmed he is willing to call out again, but there will be a €40 fee if the issue is not with UPC connection?

<JaneDoe>: at 12:00:34

Yes the Technician received 75% of the total speed this is in our terms & conditions this is acceptable.
    <Marcface>: at 12:01:39

The technician received a spike of it. I am receiving half of it, which is in breach of the terms and conditions you just mentioned. I have tested it, twice daily, every day, since the technician visited.
    <Marcface>: at 12:02:00

It is NOT an issue inside the house, or with my equipment.
    <Marcface>: at 12:02:39

And as I've tried to make clear, the entire point of my contacting you, is to make it clear I am not receiving the agreed service and UPC are attempting to charge me for this, I did not contact you to arrange another waste of time of a service call.

<JaneDoe>: at 12:04:32

These are the only options I can give you.
    <Marcface>: at 12:06:40

So we've been speaking now for an hour, and at the end of this just to be clear.. UPC are going to continue to charge me for a service I am not and have not been receiving, UPC are going to continue to say there is nothing wrong with my line (which they also did when I was receiving 60Mb/s) and UPC cannot assist me further by providing a revision of the charges on my account, nor can they resolve my issue without sending out another technician who will again report nothing is wrong to UPC, yet tell us in person a completely different story.

<JaneDoe>: at 12:10:31

We have sent you technicians & the cable was replaced.The technician confirmed all is fine. When the engineer was contacted today he confirmed there is no outside issue. Your equipment was tested today all the levels are fine too.
    <Marcface>: at 12:11:11

And I am STILL NOT RECEIVING 250Mb/s. This is all completely null and void as I am NOT getting the service. I am getting 100-140!
    <Marcface>: at 12:11:40

I had this -exact- same argument the first time round, when it was eventually proven I was getting 60Mb/s, you've no idea how frustrating this is

<JaneDoe>: at 12:12:07

I can only offer you another call out & for when you are home & the technician can go through this with you. You are on 240mb.

<JaneDoe>: at 12:12:31

Let me know what you now deciede

<JaneDoe>: at 12:13:20

Have you ensure your equipment meet the requirements, What would you like to do now?

info: at 12:13:43

The chat session has been closed by your UPC Representative.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Marcface wrote: »
    I signed up just over a month ago for 240Mb, and for half of that I got 60, I'm now getting between 100-140. Yet they're still trying to charge me the full whack for the service I'm not receiving. Am I going mad here or am I right?

Their T&Cs state that they will provide a service "up to" 240Mb/s. But, they will provide a min speed of 100Mb/s. You are now getting that. So, they are within their rights to charge you the full price.

There can be a good number of reasons why you are getting the speed you get. So, they will do their best to get you as high a speed as they can. You may not be able to get the full speed.

So, you should be able to discuss with them downgrading your package to a lower package at a lower price. But, you can't compel them to do that.

Read the T&Cs of your contract to know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,082 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What ten devices have you used on a wired connection?

I've found that Realtek "gigabit" NICs can't handle more than about 150. When I had 240 I got 240 reliably, but on an Intel gigabit card.

Wifi is clearly going to have troubles and the UPC equipment really can't breach 120; very expensive 5Ghz kit can get closer to 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

L1011 wrote: »
    What ten devices have you used on a wired connection?

I've found that Realtek "gigabit" NICs can't handle more than about 150. When I had 240 I got 240 reliably, but on an Intel gigabit card.

Wifi is clearly going to have troubles and the UPC equipment really can't breach 120; very expensive 5Ghz kit can get closer to 200.

I've tested it with 2 PC's and 8 different laptops. I've even used a quad-port server grade Intel gigabit NIC on one of the PC's, no joy.

Paulw wrote: »
    Their T&Cs state that they will provide a service "up to" 240Mb/s. But, they will provide a min speed of 100Mb/s. You are now getting that. So, they are within their rights to charge you the full price.

There can be a good number of reasons why you are getting the speed you get. So, they will do their best to get you as high a speed as they can. You may not be able to get the full speed.

So, you should be able to discuss with them downgrading your package to a lower package at a lower price. But, you can't compel them to do that.

Read the T&Cs of your contract to know where you stand.

Hi Paul, where did you find that? I found nothing about it in their ToS, the only thing I could find is the following on their site:

"240Mb broadband, the expected average speed during peak hours of at least 180Mb on a wired connection."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I stand corrected. They don't guarantee any speed. Only in their ads do they specify a speed.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/GeneralTermsandconditions.pdf

23.4 Upload and download speeds shown assume all technologies are working at optimum speeds; in practice, numerous factors beyond our control can cause speeds to vary.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    I stand corrected. They don't guarantee any speed. Only in their ads do they specify a speed.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/GeneralTermsandconditions.pdf

23.4 Upload and download speeds shown assume all technologies are working at optimum speeds; in practice, numerous factors beyond our control can cause speeds to vary.

It appears they actually agree with me now, it only took dragging their name about on Twitter to get a response. They've whacked 50% off of my bill and will continue to do so until the issue is resolved. They've restored service and are now actually looking at proper possible causes, like switching back from IPv6 to IPv4 instead of "turn it off and turn it back on again". This might actually get resolved eventually.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

May be an idea to remove your account number and any other personal details from the original post.

You never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

May be an idea to remove your account number and any other personal details from the original post.

You never know...
    Mod: Identifying details of UPC rep and OP removed from that wall of text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

Marcface wrote: »
    It appears they actually agree with me now, it only took dragging their name about on Twitter to get a response. They've whacked 50% off of my bill and will continue to do so until the issue is resolved. They've restored service and are now actually looking at proper possible causes, like switching back from IPv6 to IPv4 instead of "turn it off and turn it back on again". This might actually get resolved eventually.. :confused:

Hi Marc,

I was actually speaking with you on Twitter this morning on this, I've been investigating from here and have sent you a follow up DM.

Check when you can and we'll be back in touch with more info ASAP.

Thanks.

Advertisement