Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikram Yoga Paralysis

Options
  • 14-05-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi there,

I have done bikram for 6 months every second day last year and I did a month in January and just yesterday signed up for a month. In the class yesterday I could feel myself getting 'pins and needles' over my body till the point that it came to camels pose, which I did and when I lay down, the pins and needles got intense! My hands curled up, my heart was racing, my legs and groin cramped and my face went numb, I battled with it on the ground unable to move for about 5 minutes till I really felt I needed help so I mumbled at my friend beside me as I couldnt speak properly and he knew I needed help so he called the instructor over. She tried to reassure me but it was an incredibly frightening experience. She then got me coconut water and slowly I started to come back, took half an hour before I could sit up and I was still shaky for another hour after that...has anyone else experienced this paralysis?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

GO TO THE DOCTOR !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Mod Note: boards can't give medical advice please go to the doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I experienced that a few years ago, the last time I did Bikram, they insisted I wasn't hydrated enough before I went in, that I had drank caffeine that day - I hadn't. I just never went back to a bikram class again, and that never happened to me again either. If you're worried go to the Doctor. It is a very frightening thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Hi there,

I have done bikram for 6 months every second day last year and I did a month in January and just yesterday signed up for a month. In the class yesterday I could feel myself getting 'pins and needles' over my body till the point that it came to camels pose, which I did and when I lay down, the pins and needles got intense! My hands curled up, my heart was racing, my legs and groin cramped and my face went numb, I battled with it on the ground unable to move for about 5 minutes till I really felt I needed help so I mumbled at my friend beside me as I couldnt speak properly and he knew I needed help so he called the instructor over. She tried to reassure me but it was an incredibly frightening experience. She then got me coconut water and slowly I started to come back, took half an hour before I could sit up and I was still shaky for another hour after that...has anyone else experienced this paralysis?

dehydration can cause that but only in an extreme circumstance . trip to the doctor is in order

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I experienced that a few years ago, the last time I did Bikram, they insisted I wasn't hydrated enough before I went in, that I had drank caffeine that day - I hadn't. I just never went back to a bikram class again, and that never happened to me again either. If you're worried go to the Doctor. It is a very frightening thing to happen.

That's frightening nonsense about hydration and caffeine. For a start, coffee does NOT cause dehydration, that's a silly myth.

In any case, it certainly wouldn't cause symptoms like this. Medical attention is called for. I would go to A&E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hi any update on what happened? Hope you are feeling better now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Over breathing (hyperventilation) can give rise to a system wide pin and needles, especially lips and extremities.

You describe more than this though, so I agree with other posters seek medical advice.

Advertisement