Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Bike for Beginner/First Tri

Options
  • 14-05-2015 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi folks, I've been asked to do the cycle part in a relay team for a Sprint Tri. I only have a Hybid bike that I use just for keep fit and for the fun of cycling. I cycle 20K in about 50mins.

This is just a one off and I can't see myself doing it again but if I turn up at the Tri with my Hybrid am I likely to be laughed out of the place?

Would it be worth my while hiring/borrowing a road bike for the day. I guess a road bike might knock a few minutes off my time but that doesn't bother me as we are only taking part for the fun of it.

Appreciate any feedback....

Thanks

PeeBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

phelimb wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've been asked to do the cycle part in a relay team for a Sprint Tri. I only have a Hybid bike that I use just for keep fit and for the fun of cycling. I cycle 20K in about 50mins.

This is just a one off and I can't see myself doing it again but if I turn up at the Tri with my Hybrid am I likely to be laughed out of the place?

Would it be worth my while hiring/borrowing a road bike for the day. I guess a road bike might knock a few minutes off my time but that doesn't bother me as we are only taking part for the fun of it.

Appreciate any feedback....

Thanks

PeeBs

Your bike will be fine and others will be on similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I did my first tri on a hybrid. I felt a bit odd but no one really cared. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have used mountain bikes for tris in the past. No one will notice. You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Stick two aero wheels on a vespa and see if anyone says anything but what ever you do don't take your top off no matter warm or you'll be fcuked out of the place.

Advertisement