Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas voting

Options
  • 13-05-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

I am an Irish citizen and I would like to vote in this upcoming referendum however, I am studying in the UK. Is it possible to vote via post or how does it work for Irish citizens in Europe or overseas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

jimmy5694 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an Irish citizen and I would like to vote in this upcoming referendum however, I am studying in the UK. Is it possible to vote via post or how does it work for Irish citizens in Europe or overseas?

Thanks.

I'm afraid you can't post vote from abroad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A referendum on overseas voting would have been a much more pressing of an issue than the presidential age IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Postal voting exists in extremely limited circumstances, of which study abroad isn't one; and the date to request it sailed past some time ago anyway.

If actually registered here currently your only option would be to daytrip home - as the registration date is well passed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭edward2222

* Persons attending a course of study at an educational institution in the State on a full-time basis and are living away from their address of registration and are likely to be unable to attend their designated polling station to vote may apply for entry on the postal voter list by completing form PV2 (see forms).

*Persons who, due to circumstances of work, make it likely that they are unable to go to a polling station to vote may apply for entry on the postal voter list by completing form PV2 (see forms).

*Persons unable to vote in person at the polling station at which they normally vote because of their employment on polling day by the Returning Officer may apply for entry on the postal voter list by completing form PV4 (see forms).

Read more: http://www.meath.ie/CountyCouncil/ElectionsVotingInformation/PostalVotes/

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

jimmy5694 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

You don't live in Ireland so you cannot vote.
    Overseas voters
    If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

REF: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html#l862a3

Voting is based upon both your residential and citizenship status.

You would have had to have been Ordinarily Resident (which is a specific status) in Ireland on the 1st September 2014.

• Advertisement
Advertisement