Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own well and fluoride?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I'll be moving to a new house soon, it has it's own well so no water charges for me however I'd be a little concerned over the lack of fluoride as we'll be off the mains.

Any advice on how I could supplement our fluoride consumption would be valued.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Hello folks,

I'll be moving to a new house soon, it has it's own well so no water charges for me however I'd be a little concerned over the lack of fluoride as we'll be off the mains.

Any advice on how I could supplement our fluoride consumption would be valued.

Disclaimer:
    I'm neither for or against flouride in the water. It doesn't bother me that it's in there, it doesn't bother me if people feel the water shouldn't be medicated. (The only thing that does bother me is the bogus science behind a lot of the anti-fluoride nonsense).
    All that said, if you live in an area where there is no fluoride in the water, I wouldn't worry about not getting enough so long as you are brushing twice a day and flossing, which you should be anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Very often well water is naturally fluoridated, from the fluoride in the rocks leaching into the water. However this may be above or below the optimal level for dental effects. I would assume you would have to have it tested.

If you are going to the trouble of asking this question you are likely getting enough fluoride from toothpaste and mouthwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Very often well water is naturally fluoridated, from the fluoride in the rocks leaching into the water. However this may be above or below the optimal level for dental effects. I would assume you would have to have it tested.

If you are going to the trouble of asking this question you are likely getting enough fluoride from toothpaste and mouthwash.

OK, that's good to know.

Yes you'd be correct in your assumption. I'm regimented with dental care, at my last checkup my dentist said it was obvious I floss and properly at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

I don't think you need fluoride, I never drink fluoride poisoned water , I'm 35 with no cavities and no fillings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I don't think you need fluoride, I never drink fluoride poisoned water , I'm 35 with no cavities and no fillings

I'll just leave this little link here: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-16024428

• Advertisement

Halo effect.

I'll just leave this little link here: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-16024428

do you think we should add lithium to the general water supply also?

needless medication is not something I want.. if I have a problem I will address it don't force a "solution" on me for a problem I do not have. if some one wants flouide they should get a supplement

Halo effect.

please explain how that's relevant to what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hi OP,

We have our own well and the water isn't flouridated. We haven't had any problems. It has been said already, most people get flouride from multiple sources.

Children who get flouride from multiple sources are most at risk of flourosis.
    Children under the ago of two are particularly at risk of flourosis as the upper cental incisor is susceptible.
    Not sure if this would affect you but it might be worth getting the levels checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

When did you stop drinking any water from a tap?? You probably used tap water for the period whe your teeth were calcifying... the most important period for fluoride exposure....

You are also most likely eating and drinking products with fluoride if they were produced in Ireland....

• Advertisement

please explain how that's relevant to what I said?

I was assuming your original bold statement was asking how seeing as you don't drink the optimally fluoridated tap water in Ireland you have managed to have such good teeth.

(I am going on the basis that nobody would be foolish enough use their own individual experience to somehow disprove a public health measure that benefits the most needy and underprivileged people in society, without them having to be cooperative, and has been proven safe and highly effective over nearly 100 years of research)

The answer is Halo effect in combination with good cleaning, a non decay causing bacteria population in your mouth, and low frequency of refined carbohydrates.

Advertisement