Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to host 2017 Women's World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Games in UCD before moving to Ravenhill for the finals

Hopefully we can also look at hosting a 20s world cup in coming years. Thomond and Musgrave would be an option for that tournament or Thomond and Sportsground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hopefully we can also look at hosting a 20s world cup in coming years. Thomond and Musgrave would be an option for that tournament or Thomond and Sportsground...

All the games in UCD?

I would have thought maybe they would use 2 stadium in Ireland, maybe Ravenhill and Thomond with then moving the Semi/final to Aviva

Big Nelly wrote: »
    All the games in UCD?

I would have thought maybe they would use 2 stadium in Ireland, maybe Ravenhill and Thomond with then moving the Semi/final to Aviva
    Yep. All pool games in the Bowl and whatever other pitch in UCD and then move to Ravenhill for finals.
    Wouldn't need that many big stadium and by having games in so few places they can keep costs down. Having group games in Belfast and Limerick and then moving to Dublin for finals would be more expensive.
    IRB/World Rugby do the same for u20s world championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Great news. Hopefully build up some momentum behind the tournament now, get the schools involved and fill the grounds for as many games as possible - adopt a Country and so on.

Well done to the bid team and the venues!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yep. All pool games in the Bowl and whatever other pitch in UCD and then move to Ravenhill for finals.
    Wouldn't need that many big stadium and by having games in so few places they can keep costs down. Having group games in Belfast and Limerick and then moving to Dublin for finals would be more expensive.
    IRB/World Rugby do the same for u20s world championships.

I think the other pitch is likely to be the all weather surface near the Bowl.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Great news. Hopefully build up some momentum behind the tournament now, get the schools involved and fill the grounds for as many games as possible - adopt a Country and so on.
    Getting schools and clubs involved is key. This should really help the recruitment drive for playing the game that has been helped by the successes in recent 6Ns&World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pity there's no games down south but you can see why they're using the likes of UCD and they still have an option to move some of the Irish games to Donnybrook or the RDS if needed without teams having to move base.

phog wrote: »
    Pity there's no games down south but you can see why they're using the likes of UCD and they still have an option to move some of the Irish games to Donnybrook or the RDS if needed without teams having to move base.
    Id be highly surprised if they did move games and if they were to Donnybrook would be most likely not the RDS as RDS capacity wouldn't be needed for group games etc and Donnybrook is big enough and has all weather to cope with 3/4 games played back to back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Great news, although weirdly I could have sworn this had already been announced! Maybe I'm getting confused with the bid announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Terrific news - great boost for women's rugby in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Realistically how many people will visit Ireland to watch this (outside of players and family of players)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

UCD is not exactly the most inspiring of venues. Would have thought Donnybrook and the RDS could be used if this was marketed properly. Especially the Ireland games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »
    UCD is not exactly the most inspiring of venues. Would have thought Donnybrook and the RDS could be used if this was marketed properly. Especially the Ireland games.

I guess the problem is most of the games will be on like during the working day. You're right though, we should be able to fill Donnybrook for the women at least. (I'd go)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks having all group matches in UCD is poor. Surely they could have had a double header involving Ireland & England games at Donnybrook, its a small ground they wouldn't need too many to fill it. The competition will be held in August when school kids are off, sell a number of tickets to the general public then give out a number of tickets free to kids. I presume tickets will cost next to nothing for games at UCD fields anyway.

I think this bid is under ambitious apart from the games in ravenhill where I'm sure both the semi & final will be sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The last World Cup had the preliminary matches at the training centre in Marcoussis so using UCD mirrors that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

Id be highly surprised if they did move games and if they were to Donnybrook would be most likely not the RDS as RDS capacity wouldn't be needed for group games etc and Donnybrook is big enough and has all weather to cope with 3/4 games played back to back

I think knockout games involving Ireland could well be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks having all group matches in UCD is poor. Surely they could have had a double header involving Ireland & England games at Donnybrook, its a small ground they wouldn't need too many to fill it. The competition will be held in August when school kids are off, sell a number of tickets to the general public then give out a number of tickets free to kids. I presume tickets will cost next to nothing for games at UCD fields anyway.

I think this bid is under ambitious apart from the games in ravenhill where I'm sure both the semi & final will be sold out.

It would be a bit dubious to have Ireland (and England ????) games at a nice 5K stadium whilst everyone else has to play in the open spaces of UCD. The ethos of the competition for the last few events has been that everyone including the host plays in the same place, and presumably the powers that be want this to continue hence our winning bid.
    Also to be pedantic the semi finals aren't in Ravenhill, seem to be in Queens University.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    RDS wouldn't be used as not needed with Queens/Ravenhill being used for finals day.
    UCD and the Bowl will be fine for group games. Doesn't it have a capacity of several thousand

Its easier for the competition organisers etc.
    Last years world cup in France had group games in Marcoussis with a capacity of 1000-2000 and then moved to Stade Francais games for the finals. Our bid is the same as that bid and the world cup in 2010 which had group games in Surrey Sports field before moving to the Stoop for the finals.
    It would be a bit dubious to have Ireland (and England ????) games at a nice 5K stadium whilst everyone else has to play in the open spaces of UCD. The ethos of the competition for the last few events has been that everyone including the host plays in the same place, and presumably the powers that be want this to continue hence our winning bid.
    Also to be pedantic the semi finals aren't in Ravenhill, seem to be in Queens University.
    Why would it be dubious? It wont happen, games moving. Some playoff games will be in Queens, others in Ravenhill.
    phog wrote: »
    I think knockout games involving Ireland could well be moved.
    Doubt it. There will be 2 knock out games for Ireland. If they make semis like last years its in Ravenhill and otherwise we'll be in Queens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

shame there all in dublin would have liked a game or two in cork or limerick il likely still travel up to catch one or two but you have to feel a lot of the lesser games will be empty

nerd69 wrote: »
    shame there all in dublin would have liked a game or two in cork or limerick il likely still travel up to catch one or two but you have to feel a lot of the lesser games will be empty
    Disagree. Which games would you move and its easier and better for all if you keep to one/two main venue/venues. The North/South Dublin/Belfast set up is a good one.

All 6 pool games per round are played on the same day with 3 games played per pitch per venue in the pool stages and then in the knockouts there is 3 games played on each pitch on each of the two ranking/finals days

The lesser games wont be empty. They'll be played on the same day in the same venue as the bigger teams and games are played so a poor crowd wont be a factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

nerd69 wrote: »
    It keeps costs down for both the teams and organisers. Most teams will probably fly into Dublin as well so travel is kept to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Not so sure that it will be sold out. Maybe so if Ireland are playing.

I know I mentioned on here I was surprised to see all the games in UCD and I am glad to hear the "Second Captains" team are also saying they should move the Ireland games to RDS.....

Seemingly the 6N games are now moved to Donney brook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Seemingly the 6N games are now moved to Donney brook

That makes sense. I would except them to get a much better crowd in central Dublin than Ashbourne who I'm sure have done a great job of hosting these matches over the years.

I know I mentioned on here I was surprised to see all the games in UCD and I am glad to hear the "Second Captains" team are also saying they should move the Ireland games to RDS.....

Seemingly the 6N games are now moved to Donnybrook
    Shame that so many internationals will be in Dublin. Off topic but hopefully 20s can stay in Athlone
    That makes sense. I would except them to get a much better crowd in central Dublin than Ashbourne who I'm sure have done a great job of hosting these matches over the years.
    Ashbourne has been good. Hopefully the IRFU also look at bringing an international or two to Limerick/Cork/Galway over next few years

Ashbourne has been good. Hopefully the IRFU also look at bringing an international or two to Limerick/Cork/Galway over next few years

I know it was pointed out on podcast how great Ashbourne has been for the womens game but one of the reason to move to Dublin would be the chance to have more foot fall at the games. People showing up just as not too far to travel etc...

I would guess Limerick/Cork/Galway would fall into the same category. I would guess they will test the Dublin move next year and then maybe push it out around the country. Would make sense to me....

Even to move it to the dreaded Belfast :P:P

Please note only joking as post above mentioned all the big city's part from Belfast....remember one Ireland lads :D

The Pool Draw for the Women's Rugby World Cup 2017 will take place tomorrow morning at Belfast City Hall at 11am.

The draw will be streamed live via World Rugby - http://www.rwcwomens.com/.

Draw made
    Pool A
    Canada
    New Zealand
    Wales
    Asia/Oceania 2

Pool B
    England
    USA
    Italy
    Europe 1

Pool C
    France
    Ireland
    Australia
    Asia/Oceania 1

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Anyone have a view on toughness of our group?

• Advertisement

Anyone have a view on toughness of our group?
    We have got a good draw. We're in with France who were semi finalists in previous 2 world cups and who we've rarely beaten. Australia are beatable as is qualifier. We have very good chance of making semis. We've avoided NZ, England and Canada who are very strong

Advertisement