Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best selling beer in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

I have tried google but can't seem to find the exact answer.

Does anybody know what the best selling beer in Ireland is? The cliche answer is probably Guinness, but I would be interested in seeing the actual figures across the various brands, does anybody have a link to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It might be Heineken, based on Checkout's Top 100 Biggest Selling Brand in Ireland list...

http://www.esmmagazine.com/top-100-brands-2014-ireland-s-biggest-selling-brands-revealed/6237

"Top 50 Alcohol Brands, which is topped by Heineken. Smirnoff is the leading brand in the Top 20 Spirits list, Heineken tops the Top 20 LADs list, while Blossom Hill leads the Top 20 Wines list. Silk Cut is Ireland’s biggest-selling tobacco brand, topping the Top 10 Cigarettes list."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,232 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be pretty sure it hasn't been Guinness for a very long time, when off-sales are counted. Heineken usually turns out on top of most surveys, like the one mentioned above, Kantar figures, etc.

You'd really need to look at both volume and value for sales though, albeit I suspect that its very unlikely there's a budget brand shifting vast volumes more than the "premium" brands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Draught I think Guinness is around the 33% mark with Heinken very close behind. In the off license Budweiser is the top seller. I think Heineken Ireland has something like 51% of the total beer market but that includes Paulaner, Tiger and a few others.

Best selling Irish beer I would imagine is O'Hara's Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect that its very unlikely there's a budget brand shifting vast volumes more than the "premium" brands.

This is from a good while ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Gold
    Irish retailing
    In the Irish canned beer market, Dutch Gold has a market share of between 11% and 14%, making it the nation's third most popular beer after Budweiser and Heineken[3] Dutch Gold is not advertised in the media, rather favouring in-store advertising. Competitive pricing and a variety of multi-pack offers are the primary promotional methods.

In another thread I post that wondering if they included guinness as "canned beer", people said it was not that popular. I did since find another quote about that dutch gold listing and it did say "canned lager", so I am unsure if guinness was in the running, as the media and laypeople use the terms very loosely, I have heard many people insist that guinness is not beer, sneering at the people who get it "wrong".

I do usually see higher stacks of guinness cans than dutch gold. Maybe this is merchandisers getting their own way. Some off licences might have much higher stacks of dutch gold, esp. when there is no offer on the guinness. But I do see people loading up on guinness at certain times of the year, esp. when its on offer.

The link previously posted appears to be off sales. I expect guinness has a far higher share in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

There's not a chance Budweiser can still be up there now.

If it is we're way worse off than I thought :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Trond wrote: »
    There's not a chance Budweiser can still be up there now.

If it is we're way worse off than I thought :eek:

Craft beer sales are growing at a rate never seen before... I can assure you we're doing absolutely fine.

Advertisement