Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Adventure Race

Options
  • 13-05-2015 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Few questions
    I'm doing the Sporty category in this race (which cuts out the kayak and 5k run back to your bike). I've done heaps of triathlons and bike races so fitness isn't a problem its the more technical questions i'm wondering about.

- which is better cycling shoes and runners or just runners with flat pedals? i haven't cycled without cycling shoes in a long time so i'm not use to it. also my runners are very light so carrying them while on the bike isn't an issue, its just would i loose too much time changing shoes unless i was very slick at it? Do any of the top Adventure racers do a cycling shoe and runner setup??

-It says there is no marshals at junctions so will it be obvious enough what way to go when your cranking it, down on the bars and bleary eyed.

- Mandatory kit contains a basic first aid kit, so i'm guessing this just means bring a few plasters?

- Also says a hat, will a roadie cap do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

On the shoe question:

From my slightly limited experience, for bike distances much over 10km you're probably better off switching shoes. The sport course looks as though it has two 20km bike legs, so I'd advise using bike shoes and just getting practice at switching them out. The time you'd save using only running shoes would be more than negated by the loss of power on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Few questions
    I'm doing the Sporty category in this race (which cuts out the kayak and 5k run back to your bike). I've done heaps of triathlons and bike races so fitness isn't a problem its the more technical questions i'm wondering about.

- which is better cycling shoes and runners or just runners with flat pedals? i haven't cycled without cycling shoes in a long time so i'm not use to it. also my runners are very light so carrying them while on the bike isn't an issue, its just would i loose too much time changing shoes unless i was very slick at it? Do any of the top Adventure racers do a cycling shoe and runner setup??

On the MTB I just use my trail shoes. Some folks use SPD's right the way through. This weekend using ht eroad bike in 2 legs so using the clip in shoes and changing to trail runners for the run.

All depends on the speed and surface etc. If all sloggy uphill and technical you won't lose much time being in regular runners
    -It says there is no marshals at junctions so will it be obvious enough what way to go when your cranking it, down on the bars and bleary eyed.

Probably signposted. Race briefing will tell you this. No marshals means you must be sure to obey the rules of the road and ensure your own safety too.
    - Mandatory kit contains a basic first aid kit, so i'm guessing this just means bring a few plasters?

I'd include antiseptic wipes, cream, insect bite cream, antihistamines and a foil blanket to that. All in a waterproof bag.
    - Also says a hat, will a roadie cap do??

Use a hat that will keep your head warm. If a roadie cap fits...well.... :)

Do they have a FAQ or Facebook page that you can get clarity on the Mandatory kit requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

AKW wrote: »
    On the MTB I just use my trail shoes. Some folks use SPD's right the way through. This weekend using ht eroad bike in 2 legs so using the clip in shoes and changing to trail runners for the run.

All depends on the speed and surface etc. If all sloggy uphill and technical you won't lose much time being in regular runners

Probably signposted. Race briefing will tell you this. No marshals means you must be sure to obey the rules of the road and ensure your own safety too.

I'd include antiseptic wipes, cream, insect bite cream, antihistamines and a foil blanket to that. All in a waterproof bag.

Use a hat that will keep your head warm. If a roadie cap fits...well.... :)

Do they have a FAQ or Facebook page that you can get clarity on the Mandatory kit requirements?

Thanks for that, yeah the FAQ just says bring the mandatory kit and that lists all the kit but doesn't go into detail as to what should be in the first aid kit or what type of hat is required, ah it'll be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Thanks for that, yeah the FAQ just says bring the mandatory kit and that lists all the kit but doesn't go into detail as to what should be in the first aid kit or what type of hat is required, ah it'll be grand :D

http://www.waterfordadventurerace.com/mandatorykit.shtml

Link for mandatory kit.
    Only a few turn offs on the cycle route and would say signposted so would not worry about that. I have used clip ons before for this type of race and really up to individual ie u will lose time changing but may gain time on bike. I will be going clip ons and trail runners. Just make sure that u have figured out how you going to carry shoes when cycling. First race of this type my bag was too small and I had to throw out items to make space for runners as had never checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

nok2008 wrote: »
    http://www.waterfordadventurerace.com/mandatorykit.shtml

Link for mandatory kit.
    Only a few turn offs on the cycle route and would say signposted so would not worry about that. I have used clip ons before for this type of race and really up to individual ie u will lose time changing but may gain time on bike. I will be going clip ons and trail runners. Just make sure that u have figured out how you going to carry shoes when cycling. First race of this type my bag was too small and I had to throw out items to make space for runners as had never checked

How did you find the race, i though it was a well marshaled race and all of the organizing was very good, no complaints there. But for 60 quid i though the t shirt wasn't great, and there was no goody bag, and there website is bad, on the website the routes of the races were described differently to the way they went on the day, for example it said that the difference between the sporty and the elite was there was no kayak and run back in the sporty, but when i turned up at registration i found out they changed it for this year and the difference was sporty went to the lake instead of up the mountain. Not sure would i do it again for these reasons. Came 2nd in the sporty race if anyone is wondering (there was only 18 in that race though :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

How did you find the race, i though it was a well marshaled race and all of the organizing was very good, no complaints there. But for 60 quid i though the t shirt wasn't great, and there was no goody bag, and there website is bad, on the website the routes of the races were described differently to the way they went on the day, for example it said that the difference between the sporty and the elite was there was no kayak and run back in the sporty, but when i turned up at registration i found out they changed it for this year and the difference was sporty went to the lake instead of up the mountain. Not sure would i do it again for these reasons. Came 2nd in the sporty race if anyone is wondering (there was only 18 in that race though :rolleyes:)

I think the route was tough. I did the elite and came towards the very end of that. Maybe should have done the sport but only doing it to have a fittness target.the mountain made it more interesting though. That 5k run was also a killer.
    The T-shirt was awful not too sure would even wear to the gym. Would prefer to not get and give money to charity or not have to pay at all. Not too bothered about goody bag.
    What annoyed me more was the lack of security re transitions. I did not leave bike overnight as the hall was in use when i got there so all bikes were being left around the back and no one watching. Also no one about at kayak transition when i got there towards end. Some marshals out on road but no sight of bikes.
    Someone said that numbers away down so it may be a case that this has ran its time but would do again. Interesting routes and prob worth the money.
    However compared to price of other races say Killarney at 85. Good value and overall well organised.

Advertisement