Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need to change the constitution regarding gender?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,812 ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading the Presidential section of the constitution and I noticed that everthing in it is 'he' and 'his'. Does this need to be changed? Have we had two Presidents who were not legally entitled to take office?

Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't ever remember any referendum over gender. I was out of the country for a couple of years so maybe it happened while I was gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think this came up before. I think the explanation is that legally masculine pronouns are used where masculine or feminine may apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭stringed theory

He, in formal writing, has always meant "she or he" or "he or she" until US theorists came on the scene to promote feminist paranoia and to try and change the language. The US constitution, however, still stands.

Now the politically correct use the singular "they" creating very ugly prose and some ambiguity. This only sounds well as used in colloquial language i.e. when there is an undefined subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Similar to Mankind meaning both sexes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand there was a legal ruling that made the he/she pronouns synonymous for such purposes. But if the FG/Lab party can gain a measure of political traction for such a change, then of course a change is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The constitution, as with the statute book, should be gender neutral. Absolutely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement