Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenge, justice or turn the other cheek

Options
  • 13-05-2015 12:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am facing the above dilemma currently.

I feel I have been unjustly treated.

Basically, I am gunning for revenge. I could just seek justice, or I could seek justice and compensation, or, I could turn the other cheek

The bible teaches turning the other cheek - let the Lord deal with it (brought up Catholic but have no belief or faith).

What say ye atheists?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Goshen

And for a non-believer, I found Psalm 55 to speak the words I felt were fitting, when I most needed to hear them.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+55&version=NKJV

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Before you embark of a journey of revenge dig two graves.

Simply put. Revenge will never make you feel better, it won't right the wrong done to you. Best to try to come to acceptance with whatever it is. Seek counselling if needs be and live life to your potential. It seems a counter intuitive thing as our desire for "justice" is a strong one. We want to see wrong doers punished. Rarely though does it provide any satisfaction or peace. Rather peace comes pretty much from within. If you seek revenge odds are you'll just throw your body and mind into further turmoil.

I'm assuming there is stable established society here in your post. If it's a matter of your society's life and death, then you evaluate it differently. You'll still destroy part of yourself in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

You must stand up for yourself. Only when you feel you have asserted the truth in the face of your enemy will you have peace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll need to outline the wrong committed before i'll offer anything other than sarcasm.

feckin atheists.. lol
    worse than going to a priest.

• Advertisement

I will seek justice first.

See how I get on like........... weigh it up from there then.

I think I have single-handedly proven the futility of atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Will that involves pineapples or biscuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Good to see you quoting Master Kong, Turtwig. Another quote springs to mind, from the Analects.
    What the superior man seeks is in himself. What the petty man seeks is in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Goshen wrote: »

Nah the only thing you have proven the futility of is trying to give someone an answer to a questions they are actually interested in having answered. Well done.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you familiar with the phrase 'not even wrong'?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Gosh, you've persuaded me to go back to religion. As such, this is my last ever action on the internet. Or even using a computer. Or anything electrical. Or any modern technology. None of those things are covered in the rule book.

I'm off now to stone an adulterer and sell my daughters for three camels (each).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What are you doing with your other hand?

Advertisement