Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capsule coffee bad for your health?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I read last week about these capsule coffee makers, the likes of: Nespresso, DeLonghi, icona, Tassimo, Krups etc, that these capsules of coffee are carcinogenic.
    I have used the Nespresso and love it, they have a huge selection of de-cafs, within the scrummy full range. I never bought it though, as I compared the price of the capsules to a half kilo bag of coffee costing €90 by comparison! Not very economical...
    Any thoughts? They are becoming quite popular now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Joolzie wrote: »
    I read last week about these capsule coffee makers, the likes of: Nespresso, DeLonghi, icona, Tassimo, Krups etc, that these capsules of coffee are carcinogenic.
    I have used the Nespresso and love it, they have a huge selection of de-cafs, within the scrummy full range. I never bought it though, as I compared the price of the capsules to a half kilo bag of coffee costing €90 by comparison! Not very economical...
    Any thoughts? They are becoming quite popular now.

Care to share the article with us ?

I read last week that if I try this amazing weight loss supplement that the "doctors" dont want you to know about I'll loose 10 pounds in a week !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

KTR1C wrote: »
    Care to share the article with us ?

I read last week that if I try this amazing weight loss supplement that the "doctors" dont want you to know about I'll loose 10 pounds in a week !! :rolleyes:

I'm not allowed post quotes or put links yet, as am newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

To be fair everything seems to be carcinogenic these days.

To be fair everything seems to be carcinogenic these days.

I am taking longer in the supermarket these days reading the list of ingredients. You'd be surprised what you find even in plain bread. There was an ingredient in one of the sesame prepacked loaves, last week, that sounded like it had passed through the digestion system of an animal!
    When I have time, I make my own now. Yak!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Plenty of things supposed to be carcinogenic. Anything roasted, anything baked, bacon products with their nitrates, and nitrites.

• Advertisement

Plenty of things supposed to be carcinogenic. Anything roasted, anything baked, bacon products with their nitrates, and nitrites.

Something that I heard on the Doctors TV program that I found particularly scary, was a statistic, that eating sliced processed ham increases the risk of heart attack by 60% !!
    So, you are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Something that I heard on the Doctors TV program that I found particularly scary, was a statistic, that eating sliced processed ham increases the risk of heart attack by 60% !!
    So, you are spot on.

Well yeah, heard that too, just somewhere else. The dry curing too is supposed to be bad for you. The like of Iberian ham etc. Strange because the Mediterranean diet is supposed to be good for you. Maybe it's the climate thats good. Sure you could eat the good stuff here, but it might take a week to get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Conspiracy forum that way
    >>>>>>>>>

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Life is also deadly....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

When evaluating the risk to your health of something as reported in the medical literature it helps to understand the difference between relative and absolute risk.

Absolute risk is the likelihood of you developing a condition during your life e.g. if 5 out 100 people are likely to have a stroke then the absolute risk is 5 in 100, 1 in 20 or 5%, depending on how you like to express it.

The relative risk is used to compare the likelihood of two different groups of people developing the condition e.g. smokers versus non-smokers.

For example, say that the absolute risk of lung cancer in non-smokers is 2 in 100 (2%) but it rises to 4 in 100 in smokers (4%). But the relative risk in this case has doubled, from 2 in 100 to 4 in 100. In this example smoking increases the relative risk of lung cancer by 50%. But this doesn't mean that 50% of smokers will get lung cancer.

So I think I will continue to enjoy my coffee and smoked ham in moderation, along with cooking my own food from scratch, having a drink or two at the weekends and running 5-6k a few times a week. It's all relative!

• Advertisement

When evaluating the risk to your health of something as reported in the medical literature it helps to understand the difference between relative and absolute risk.

Absolute risk is the likelihood of you developing a condition during your life e.g. if 5 out 100 people are likely to have a stroke then the absolute risk is 5 in 100, 1 in 20 or 4%, depending on how you like to express it.

The relative risk is used to compare the likelihood of two different groups of people developing the condition e.g. smokers versus non-smokers.

For example, say that the absolute risk of lung cancer in non-smokers is 2 in 100 (2%) but it rises to 4 in 100 in smokers (4%). But the relative risk in this case has doubled, from 2 in 100 to 4 in 100. In this example smoking increases the relative risk of lung cancer by 50%. But this doesn't mean that 50% of smokers will get lung cancer.

So I think I will continue to enjoy my coffee and smoked ham in moderation, along with cooking my own food from scratch, having a drink or two at the weekends and running 5-6k a few times a week. It's all relative!

You sound wise and healthy! There's a lot to be said for making food from scratch. I tend not to buy processed ham now. I make my own the slow way, gorgeous in a sandwich and well worth it. I am really appreciating your attention to detail. I do love coffee, but some of even number 3 strength leaves me with the heebie geebies, that damage nerve ends with the caffeine. So, my latest trick is to buy a 3 strength, and decaff, and blend them. I use a perculator one or two cup. Yes, it is all relative indeed. Have a nice weekend..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I am taking longer in the supermarket these days reading the list of ingredients. You'd be surprised what you find even in plain bread. There was an ingredient in one of the sesame prepacked loaves, last week, that sounded like it had passed through the digestion system of an animal!
    When I have time, I make my own now. Yak!

Well that's exactly what happens with the most expensive coffee in the world :D

http://www.most-expensive.coffee/

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

They find out everyday that "this" is bad and "that" is bad; but "this" reduces risk of "that" and "that" boosts resistance to "this"...

They've no idea what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm not allowed post quotes or put links yet, as am newbie.
    Put a space between the name of the website, so that
    [HTML]boards.ie[/HTML]
    becomes
    [HTML]boards . ie[/HTML]

They find out everyday that "this" is bad and "that" is bad; but "this" reduces risk of "that" and "that" boosts resistance to "this"...

They've no idea what they're talking about.

Yes, that's true, we just have to be vigilant and listen to what they do say, and evaluate it. Our life is worth it.....:)

Advertisement