Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M7) Battery Keeps Draining

Options
  • 13-05-2015 10:29am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I'm having battery issues with my HCT One. Basically since I unplugged the phone an hour ago, the battery is already down to 78% and falling. In fact, since I've typed that sentence it's now down to 77%, and I type very fast :(

This happened me a couple of times in the past, and going into recovery mode, wiping the cache partition, then rebooting has always worked in getting it back to normal. However, this doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard at all this time.

It started last Friday and I went from having about 50% battery to the phone being dead within about 2 hours, and that was with it on standby apart from me wiping cache partition and rebooting twice. When I got home and plugged it in, I backed up and then did a full factory reset ie wiped the entire phone and started from scratch. All seemed ok, but then on Saturday night, it happened again; I had about 75% battery at tea time, then by about 11 the phone was down to 1%.

So far what I've tried is:
    • Wipe cache partition.
    • Factory Reset
    • Recalibrate battery
    • Root phone and run custom ROM
    • Used a battery saving app to stop apps from auto starting.
    • Deleted apps that are power drainers - facebook, the journal. RTE news, etc
    • Didn't install any of the bloatware apps that come with the stock ROM
    • Using the screen at the lowest brightness level
    • Setting WiFi to turn off if the screen is off

I've installed TWRP and the custom ROM I'm using is Android Revolution. This is the first phone I've ever had where I actually like the stock ROM (apart from blinkfeed, which I don't use) and I've had the phone for just over a year.

Is there anything else I can do? I'd ideally prefer not to have to install something like Caynogenmod because as I said, I like the stock ROM, hence why I chose Android Revolution after I rooted it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How old is the phone? My battery went to crap after about a year and half and the battery would be gone by mid day. It was the only reason I got rid of the phone.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bush wrote: »
    How old is the phone? My battery went to crap after about a year and half and the battery would be gone by mid day. It was the only reason I got rid of the phone.

Oh crap. It's about a year old now. My husband has the same phone and his is still perfect. I'm not due an upgrade for another year so I really hope it's not the battery itself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I had similar issues with this model - factory reset got it back to normal. not ideal but it will hopefully get you through to your end of contract

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've done a factory reset twice, and still the problem persists :( I'm raging because it's the most inconvenient timing ever, I'm going on holidays on Saturday so the last thing I want is the thing to be randomly dying on me when I'm out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mines over a year and a half old and its starting to drain faster but nothing like yours OP.

If the battery has been charged loads of times and if it has been let run down to very low % often a good few times then chances are it's fecked. I don't think software changes you do can help it at this stage.

In saying that it should last more than a year and hold a charge. If it wasn't rooted you could have probably brought it back to the shop as faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Toots wrote: »
    Oh crap. It's about a year old now. My husband has the same phone and his is still perfect. I'm not due an upgrade for another year so I really hope it's not the battery itself!!

Simple check.
    Put it in safe mode for 24 hours.
      -If battery continues to die at the same rate - your battery is shagged ( which is my gut feeling)
      -If the battery does not die at the same rate in safe mode - you are saved, it's just an app misbehaving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What apps are using the most of the battery? If its something that happened suddenly, its probably not battery itself.

All new updates seem to bring a new battery problem, i think I have finally sorted mine and I was convinced it was the battery up until a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Same problem on my M7. Android system is always the highest consumer. I've had my phone 2 years I think, possibly longer. I used to get 4 and a half hours screen time, lucky to get 1 and a half hours now. It's also got the infuriating habit of dying within a few minutes of hitting 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

2 years of constant charging and discharging on a daily bases will have an effect. Its a pity new phone battery's can't be removed and replaced as easy as the old Nokia's.

Maybe the new 5.1 update solved all my problems, but its 12.30am and my battery is 56%. A few weeks ago my battery would be at 56% by 12.30pm and I was convinced it was the actual battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

battery has been awful on mine to recently but it can be intermittent so I'm sure it is not the battery, definitely something sus going on in the background
    mine is about a year and half also

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Yes, I've noticed Android System is a very high consumer. I wonder is it a software issue, because the problem only started a few days after the latest update. Jaysus they're getting as bad as apple at this stage.

I *think* I've managed to sort it out, the next few days will be the test to see if it's working (crosses various appendages)

Here's what I did, in case any of it helps anyone else:

First I backed up my photos and music to my computer, and then did a complete wipe of my phone - absolutely everything, not just a factory reset. Then I used TWRP to flash Android Revolution back on (I tried cyanogenmod 12 first of all, but I just didn't really like it). With Android Revolution you can choose which of the google bloatware apps you want to install; I installed YouTube, Maps, Hangouts and Gmail as those are the only ones I use.

I transferred my music and photos back on to the phone, but nothing else. I downloaded my apps from the play store.

There were 3 apps that used up a huge amount of ram and battery; The Journal, Facebook & RTE News, so if any of ye are having battery issues, definitely delete these. I've just put a shortcut to the web page on my home screens for all of these, they all have a touch site so it's pretty much the same as using the app; and in the case of Facebook it's better because you can still access your private messages without having to download their stupid messenger app.

I also installed Cleanmaster and DU Battery Saver. Cleanmaster has a nifty little function that checks which apps are constantly restarting in the background, and allows you to block them from doing it. This has made a HUGE difference to the battery life. There were 14 on my phone that were constantly restarting, and I have now blocked. Some of them I wouldn't have suspected at all. The apps were: Maps, Kindle (???), BOI 365, Buzzfeed, Colournote, Flickr, Libra weight tracker, Matching with friends, Photobucket, Sudoku, Words with friends, YouTube, PTSB. There was also Dropbox, Gmail, Whatsapp and Hangouts, but I've put them on ignore because the messaging ones because I need those active, and Dropbox is my backup instead of google drive.

Yesterday was my first full day of running my phone like this, and despite very heavy usage in the morning when I was re-downloading all my apps from the play store, and then my normal usage during the rest of the day, I got about 14 hours out of the battery, which was pretty much what I got when the phone was new.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Mines the same, just coming up on a year and a half. The biggest annoyance is it dying when there's still 20% remaining.

Advertisement